It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:16 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question on Homebrew games and the CV SD Cart?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:34 pm 

Hi all.

I have a question. I have a bunch of newer homebrew releases like Opcode's great releases Pac-Man Collection, Road Fighter, etc... I love the original cart/labels, boxes and manuals. They have that commercial feel to them. :) Recently while playing I realized I don't want to damage the carts, or labels by using them all the time. Thats when I thought about perhaps getting the CV SD cart. Yesterday I saw a few homebrews up on eBay that A) I've been really wanting to own (Ghost N Zombies, Ozma Wars, and Track N Field), and B) sold for about $90 each with one going up to $200+. I was in on the bidding until it got crazy. The problem is that these games (Ghosts N Zombies especially) are rare now because they are no longer in print. What I would like to know is if anyone out there with a CV SD cart and perhaps Ghosts N Zombies might be able to confirm if a dump of the cart will work on the CV SD cart? I'd be willing to shell out $100 or so for games like Track N Field or Ghosts N Zombies off of eBay, but at that price I would keep them in protective casing and not want to use them all the time. I figure if those games can work on the CV SD cart I could possibly purchase them, dump the data and use the games on my SD cart while the originals are sealed in protective casing in my game display case. As with most collectors, I'm anal about my collection and prefer not to use the originals if I can make a copy of a game I already have. The CV SD cart could make that a possibility.

Anyhow, if anyone has had success with those games on the CV SD cart, please let me know. I rather know up front, instead of purchasing those games for $$$$$$$ and finding out the CV SD cart won't work with them. Then I'd be stuck using the original carts which would eventually deteriorate the mint condition of those rare items.

Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: Question on Homebrew games and the CV SD Cart?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:25 am 

Most homebrews should work, but where are you getting the dump file from? They were not and likely will never be released to the public.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 am 

Greg2600 wrote:
Most homebrews should work, but where are you getting the dump file from? They were not and likely will never be released to the public.

I have a connection! :wink:

As I mentioned above I have a bunch of homebrews already (physical, purchased copies). I'm planning to look into getting a cart dumper so I could dump those images for my own personal use. This way I can keep the original physical copies in their original cases in my showcase shelf. Then I could still play those games from the SD cart.

I actually picked up a few more Homebrews off of eBay just over the last week or so as well.

John

PS: For the record, the "I Have a Connection" is a joke. The true method is what I explained in my initial post and then reiterated in this one. After re-reading what I wrote I didn't want anyone to think I had some sort of real contact, pirate connection or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:48 pm 

Years later. But I can confirm the Homebrew games do work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 am 

There are plenty of legit publicly released homebrew roms from the developers themselves so no worries there. Aside from that, please don't support those who pirate these homebrews where the rom hasn't been released for free by the developer. If you own the cart and want to dump the rom to place it on your Ultimate cart that's ok. Anything else just hurts the community.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]