It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Limited Edition ColecoVision Ultimate SD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:48 pm 

Awesome!

Piles of them!

Makes we wish I had them all!

Great work Steve, this cartridge is a dream come true for me.
Can't wait to save games like Gateway to Asphai and Fortune Builder and load the save and continue later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:24 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

evg2000 wrote:
looks great! Are they still going to be limited? Have any idea how many you will produce? just want to make sure I get my hand on one ;)

The pre-order will be limited to 100, which is pretty much whats shown in the picture.

If there is really strong demand for them and they sell out another run is not out of the question, but I would have to take orders and make them all as a batch again as time allows.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 pm 

Sign me up for one! How will we be notified? How do we pay?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

atariforever2002 wrote:
Sign me up for one! How will we be notified? How do we pay?

I finally had time to sit down and order the rest of the missing parts for full production of the 100 carts, so keep an eye on the forum here or if you want to be e-mailed when I put up the pre-ordering page, send me an e-mail at classics@atarimax.com.

I will be able to take pre-orders by PayPal or Google Checkout. I can also arrange payment by money order or Western Union if you don't have those options.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I made a minor change to the hardware so the Hybrid mode read window is from E000..FFFF and the write window is from C000..DFFF, because of the concern expressed here and it is also consistent with the way the Lord of the Dungeon cart implements it.

I will update the example code to reflect this.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm 

classics wrote:
I made a minor change to the hardware so the Hybrid mode read window is from E000..FFFF and the write window is from C000..DFFF, because of the concern expressed here and it is also consistent with the way the Lord of the Dungeon cart implements it.

I will update the example code to reflect this.

Steve

So you're saying that the standard LoD ROM will load/save as soon as we get the SD cartridge?

http://www.mythcore.com
http://www.billandchristina.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:40 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Bill Loguidice wrote:
So you're saying that the standard LoD ROM will load/save as soon as we get the SD cartridge?

Actually the change mentioned above only effects the 512KB Hybrid mode.

LoD is already working and should work with the standard ROM image 'out of the box' for loading and saving. There are ROM only (24k) and a ROM+SRAM (32k) images floating around, both should work. :)

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 am 

Please count me in as well. Would like to see the USB added as well for future upgrade flexibility. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:39 pm 

Can not wait!!!! Incredible job!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Guys, just an update on where this is all at. :D

I spent this weekend re-writing the menu software and adding a new mixed 30k/1k bank switching mode to support it. The new additional bank switching mode seems to work well for a program like the menu software, which needs fast access to 512KB of memory for reading, but still needs a unbanked area bigger than 16k.

This mode is available in addition to all the other modes supported by the cartridge. It is laid out as:

0x8000 .. 0xF7FF - Fixed 30K unbanked area
0xF800 .. 0xFBFF - 1k Banking Window (Mapped to any 1K of the 512KB address space)
0xFC00 .. 0xFDFF - Banking area, select any 1 of 512 1K windows for the banking window
0xFE00 .. 0xFEFF - On-board CPU Communications Window
0xFF00 .. 0xFFFF - Additional unbanked ROM

Since the menu software does not use code banking so space was getting extremely tight, even with me optimizing and re-writing many of the functions in Z80 assembler to save space. The new 30k fixed bank switching method has freed up a lot of space so I hope to make more progress on a few features I want to add before or shortly after release.

The menu software itself has improved greatly since the last video. The onboard CPU now includes a plain text INI file parser with an API on the Colecovision side to read program settings and strings from these normal human readable/editable files. Writing values/strings to INI files is not implemented yet but will be possible for programs that want to store data in a non-binary format.

With the changes to the hardware all the previously implemented modes had to be re-validated and timed. That was done today and everything seems to be working well.

As for the hardware production, all of the hardware for the 100 cartridges is assembled and except for the labels, is essentially complete. The cartridges are all in cases with all the holes in the correct position, just no labels or LED lenses in place yet.

The software, hardware, firmware and menu software has changed quite a bit since they were first programmed, so each cart will have to be updated and tested again before shipping with the latest stuff.

The company that is making the die cut labels for the new carts made an error on the die and all of the labels they sent have the holes in the wrong position. I'm hoping to hear back from them today or tomorrow on an ETA for the fixed labels.

Since things are getting close to the point where I can actually ship these, I will be preparing a pre-order page that includes news of the great suprise thats going to be coming with every cart. This should be done some time this week (time allowing) and pre-ordering will start. :-)

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:35 pm 

So arguably the best multi/flash cart in the world comes with a bonus surprise? 8)

Can hardly wait,
5-11under

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm 

I'M SOLD! :mrgreen: and I got some money burning a whole in my back pocket!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The new phone books are here, the new... I mean the new labels are here! :-)

Pre-ordering page should be up within the next 48 hours or so.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 pm 

Ordered!!! Woohoo!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 am 

dharley wrote:
I have created all the screen shots (.PC format) and converted as many text manuals I have to the correct screen width. I am selling everything as the as the Colecovision SD Game Package.

Really? Come on man, you should know better than that. Selling ROMs is illegal. Not cool at all!

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next