It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is the MyIDE II the right choice for my young son?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm 

Hi, The Antic 8-bit Atari podcast gave me the idea to buy an atari 800xl for my 9 year old, to get him playing with classic 8-bit programming. So I want him to use a classic 8-bit system to mess with basic, but I don't want to deal with old storage methods. I want a storage technology like SD cards or impact flash. Can you please tell me which of your products would allow him to save and load little basic programs from a modern storage medium? And if you could point to which documentation I should read about how to set it up for him?

I know everyone is busy, thank you for your time. I want to inspire my son with Atari.

Thank you.

KB

Post subject: Re: Is the MyIDE II the right choice for my young son?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:50 am 

Hi KB,

1/
MyIDE-][ can be used to load and save basic-programs, yes, no problem.
It used CF, the OS that handles CF-cards is pre-installed.
2/
Also you can load an play games etc. directly from the CF-card using the pre-installed software.
3/
You can use your windows-PC and a card-reader to backup or upload to your CF-card using
3th party software or drag-and-drop files to the FAT32-area.
4/
Later, when you want, you can change your pre-installed cartridge content with the build-in flash-function.

Greetz,
Sijmen.

Post subject: Re: Is the MyIDE II the right choice for my young son?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 am 

My experience with MyIDE ][ and MyBIOS are very positive.
I consider myself as a power-user but in my household there is also a young kid (7 years old) who uses the atari.

The greatest of MyIDE ][ is that there is a learning curve. So both novice and experienced users can find their way with MyIDE ][.

A few advices from my experience:

1) If you want your kid to use it (next to your own use) dedicate a special CF card for him/her which he/she can use without risking losing any important stuff

2) When it comes to playing games: stick first with FAT32 loader; try to get .R16 versions of games, and when that does not succeed, get yourself .XEX versions of games and when that does also not succeed, try to get ATR files. R16 versions of games are exclusively compatible with MyIDE 2, and are (almost) equal conversions of ROM versions of games.

3) MyBIOS is an excellent choice for fooling around with basic. Follow the instructions found on this forum and on the website Atarimax and create a MyDOS partition on D1:

One thing is important to know though: I don't expect a kid to be able to setup the device. So as a parent you should do some work first. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here. I'm pretty sure you'll have lots of fun with your MyIDE 2 interface.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]