It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Black Screen when Loading some Games
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 pm 

Hello all,

I just modded a 600xl to 64k. All memory tests pass and it looks great. One problem, when I go to load certain games from my 8mbit flash cart(Pitfall II, HERO, GORF, ect) I get a black screen. Other games that require 64k work fine. What could be causing this issue? I'm stumped. I've tried different roms and still the same issue. Could this be a bank switching issue or something??

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Black Screen when Loading some Games
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

With 64K the 600XL should be identical to an 800XL, assuming it has the same mechanism in place for accessing the RAM in the OS area.

If you post a copy of the workbook you're using, I can try it out here. You can also e-mail it to classics@atarimax.com.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 am 

Hey Steve,

I figured it out. It was just bad roms. I used ATR files instead and everything is working now. Although with Pitfall II and HERO, when first booting the Atari after having it sit powered off for awhile and going straight to those games I get a black screen still. But I do a warm boot (start/reset), a reset, then power cycle the Atari. After all that they will load and continue to load until I let the Atari power off for a while again. Also if I load other games first then goto to load Pitfall II and HERO after, they load just fine. But I think that has something to do with the "cold booting issue" after the mod. Whats your thoughts about it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:40 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

That sounds like a hardware issue of some kind to me... they should load the same with the computer "cold" as when its warmed up.

Usually with a problem like this I would suspect some dodgy RAM chips.. but you just replaced those.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]