It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Atarimax SIO2PC USB Universal Adapter Now Available!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm 

Has anyone tried using this USB adapter with Sio2OSX (http://www.atarimac.com/sio2osx.php)?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:19 am 

The AtariMax USB SIO2PC adapter uses its own communication standard. As far as I know APE is the only program that supports this USB adapter.

Other USB SIO2PC adapters are based on a FTDI usb2serial chip and the computer sees it as a regular COM port (AtariMax's USB adapter is not installed as regular COM port). These FTDI based adapters can often be used with programs that only support COM port adapters like AspeQt.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 pm 

I have a USB2serial adapter that works fine with both APE and aspeqt in Windows where Windows sets up a virtual com port. But it fails to work with linux.
I do not have the Atarimax USB adapter, so I cannot say if that will work with aspeqt in either linux or Windows.
But I think a driver should set up a com port for whatever interface and that helps in getting peripherals to work as they are often designed to communicate through a com port.
If the driver does not do that, it's use with stuff not Atari becomes limited like say one wants to use it with a GPS device.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 pm 

Well I decided to buy one of these things. I just ordered it today. Can't wait to see how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 pm 

bdh61 wrote:
Well I decided to buy one of these things. I just ordered it today. Can't wait to see how it works.

My USB adapter arrived and works like a charm. I run Windows XP using VMware Fusion on my MacBook. The APE software and the USB adapter connected an worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:37 am 

New owner of the SIO2PC USB adapter. Got my 800XL hooked up and started playing around last night. A few newb questions:

• does ProSystem for Windows support the USB adapter? I only see COM ports available to select.
  • on the AtariMax homepage, the links for the APE for Windows and ProSystem for Windows both go to a construction page. The Help menus in the apps go to a web-based directory with just the Disk Image FAQ in it. Is this documentation available anywhere?

edit: I got ProSystem for Windows to work. I didn't have the 1050 set to be Drive #1 and the Atari needed to be on as well (power requirements?). Once I did that, ProSystem detected the drive over USB and I was able to use it to create an ATR from a floppy.

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3