It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Pieces of the Puzzle" -- Overview of the MyIDE parts?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 am 

Mr-Atari's online docs do a good job of explaining the MyBios portion of the MyIDE-I & II. Likewise, Steve's video of setting up a blank card for MyBios is great!

But as someone who has never used the image space and never entered the realm of the FAT-32 portion of the system, it is not clear at all. Ditto for SDX, APT, etc.. I don't use it, but I'm confused as to how this version of SDX fits in. I know it's different than FJC's system to put SDX in the cart.

Could someone (not necessarily Sijmen or Steve) make a brief 1-page or so overview of using the the parts they understand? Perhaps that might lead to some productive discussions and ultimately to some improved docs.

I think this could help new users and certainly help "teach old dogs some new tricks."

-Larry

Post subject: Re: "Pieces of the Puzzle" -- Overview of the MyIDE parts?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 am 

Hi Larry,

Yeah, you are right.
I have updated the MyBIOS manual to reflect the 4.5.08 version.
Added some info how to configure SDX in the SDX-section of the MyBIOS-topic.
(needed some help from the SDX-guys here :roll: )

Later!
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I have posted a tutorial video on how to set up a card for MyBIOS and FAT32.

I'll try to get some more documentation and videos done soon.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 am 

Hi Steve-

Thanks, your new video is very helpful for getting the FAT32 portion working. I was able to set up a FAT32 partition and put some software on it and use it.

In the mid-portion of your new video when you are setting up the card for the first time, you "zip" through parts of setting up the card that appear to relate to the Image space -- "enter, enter, enter..." That's confusing, at least to me. You have a 4 GB micro-drive and I have a 2 GB SD card. Yet you end up with a CHS value of something like 00554 and it is (in the video at least) very fast. With my 2 Gb card, I end up a CHS value of (apx) 03938, and it takes a very long time to go through that step. Clearly, I did something different than you did. If you expand this video at some point to include a discussion of image space, you should consider putting more "flesh on the bones" in this area Split into 2 or 3 videos to avoid getting too long? I think that some additional comments on that portion of the video would be very useful.

But even as-is, it is still very helpful to getting up and running with FAT32.

-Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Quote:
In the mid-portion of your new video when you are setting up the card for the first time, you "zip" through parts of setting up the card that appear to relate to the Image space -- "enter, enter, enter..." That's confusing, at least to me. You have a 4 GB micro-drive and I have a 2 GB SD card. Yet you end up with a CHS value of something like 00554 and it is (in the video at least) very fast. With my 2 Gb card, I end up a CHS value of (apx) 03938, and it takes a very long time to go through that step.

You're right, the CHS values are wrong because I used the wrong size for the card when recording that part of the video using the emulator. :oops:

I skipped over the 'erase images' portion because with a large card it takes MyBIOS awhile to run through all the image slots and erase them.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to revisit this and make it a little less rushed.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]