It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Internal Basic on the 800XL + MyIDE-II?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34 pm 

I've been working on a utility to better utilize the MyIDE-II SRAM as a "swapable" ramdisk for MyDos -- to make it behave just like the regular ramdisk that MyDos sets up with expanded ram. Having some success thanks mostly to another Atari user who knows a lot more about the MyDos internals than I ever will.

But I've run across an issue (I think) with the MyBios (see picture attached). I can't get internal Basic to come up. I added Basic rev C as a regular 8K cartridge in the menu, but I can't see how that would affect the operation of internal Basic. (?) If I press OPTION, then the XL immediately boots but always goes to DUP.SYS and if I press "B" I get the "no cartridge" error.

Anyway, does internal Basic work in this release?

Thanks,
Larry

Attachment:
Boot Menu Stock 800XL.jpg

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject: Re: Internal Basic on the 800XL + MyIDE-II?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm 

I thought that the OPTION key works in reversed way. So booting the MyBIOS with Option pressed, will enable BASIC.

If not... you can go to the reset menu (SHIFT+ CONTROL + TAB) and enable basic there.

This should work...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 pm 

Hi Marius-

Yes, thanks, from Shift + Cntl + Tab, Basic works. And yes, the reverse Basic should allow booting to Basic from the MyIDE boot screen. Instead, it takes you right to to the Dup menu. No matter how long I hold the Option key (or don't even press it), I end up at Dup. with no cartridge.

-Larry

Sysop*Marius wrote:
I thought that the OPTION key works in reversed way. So booting the MyBIOS with Option pressed, will enable BASIC.

If not... you can go to the reset menu (SHIFT+ CONTROL + TAB) and enable basic there.

This should work...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:40 am 

The ATARIMAX-menu has a "safety-feature".

When you boot with OPTION pressed, you bypass the cartridge.

It's in the manual
:-)

Oh, just one more note.
You actually bypass the cartridge during boot, not disable it.
So the default wake-up values are present in all registers and the cartridge is present.
When you press RESET again, you pop back into the coldstart-routine.

Later!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:02 am 

Larry,
Have you tried the program by (mat rattlif spelling wrong) basic switcher.? From MyDOS Menu when option 'B' does not go to basic(READY) prompt. I usually load and run the Basic switcher. But don't know for sure if I have used it with MyIDE 2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 am 

Today I tried it... and I don't have the problem here.

But perhaps because I use the MyBIOS for MyIDE-I with my MyIDE ][ cart?

As soon as I see the MyBIOS welcome screen (the screen with all the text, and the test rows about IDE DEVICE and all that)... I press and hold OPTION... MyBIOS continues booting then, and there is my BASIC prompt.

As soon as i type DOS I go to MyDOS (the dup.sys thing).

Could you verify that the problem does not occur on MyBIOS for MyIDE-I?

I'm on 4.8.05.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm 

Hi Roy-

I'll try it -- I'm not sure if I've used it on the MyIDE-II or not. But I am very familiar with it -- "BASONOFF.COM" IIRC.
But my point is that I believe there is a bug. If you have a reverse option Basic toggle, then it should work that way. Hopefully if a bug is there then it will get on a list to be fixed at some point.

roye wrote:
Larry,
Have you tried the program by (mat rattlif spelling wrong) basic switcher.? From MyDOS Menu when option 'B' does not go to basic(READY) prompt. I usually load and run the Basic switcher. But don't know for sure if I have used it with MyIDE 2.

Hi Marius-

You what -- use the MyIDE-I MyBios with the MyBios-II? I'm curious -- how did you end up with that combination? Anyway, sure, I'll try this with MyIDE-I. That is a good thing to verify. I really doubt that the bug is there, because I use the MyIDE-I/MyBios internal version all the time and Basic works just the way it should on it.

-Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:24 am 

Hi Marius-

I have two MyIDE-II carts with the same firmware in them (4.8.06 20130110). Both have this issue.

Tried as you suggested -- MyIDE-I flash cart with MyBios FE 20130207 in it. It operates correctly -- press OPTION and you go to Basic. My Internal flash MyIDE/MyBios also behaves correctly.

All testing done with a totally stock (NTSC) 800XL (and also tested with an 800XL with Rambo in it).

-Larry

Sysop*Marius wrote:
Today I tried it... and I don't have the problem here.

But perhaps because I use the MyBIOS for MyIDE-I with my MyIDE ][ cart?

As soon as I see the MyBIOS welcome screen (the screen with all the text, and the test rows about IDE DEVICE and all that)... I press and hold OPTION... MyBIOS continues booting then, and there is my BASIC prompt.

As soon as i type DOS I go to MyDOS (the dup.sys thing).

Could you verify that the problem does not occur on MyBIOS for MyIDE-I?

I'm on 4.8.05.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 am 

The reason I use MyBIOS for MyIDE-I instead of the special MyBIOS-II version.... hmmm I can't remember the exact reason anymore, but I can remember that I had some issues with MyBIOS-II, which I did not have with MyBIOS-I.

Another reason I had for sticking with MyBIOS-I was that months ago I kept using my MyIDE-I cartridges too. I was (and still am) satisfied by those too, and to be as compatible as possible, I sticked with the myBIOS-I that was/is fully compatible with those carts.

Although the resident SRAM-Ramdisk driver in MyBIOS-II is cool, it is a feature I don't need.
I still don't understand why Tucker didn't put a backup battery in the MyIDE-II cart, AND a reset key. That would have increased the fun of the ramdisk feature. But it's the way it is, and still a very nice device.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]