It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Information on the MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:46 pm 

Hi. I am new to the Atari world and I have a question about your MyIDE-II cartridge. I understand that this cartridge comes with 512KB of Flash memory but what exactly can this be used for? I am trying to decide if I want to purchase a MyIDE-II cartridge or the APE kit.

I'm used to the Commodore 64, and I have an EasyFlash3 cartridge which allows me to add ROM images to the cartridge and select them at startup. Is this similar to what the MyIDE-II cartridge can do? Also, since it has the ability to used compact flash cards, can those cards be used to store diskette images and/or hard disk images?

Any information you can give me would be appreciated. I'd like to make a decision soon and get the right tool.

Post subject: Re: Information on the MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 am 

The flash-rom is for the menu, fat-loader, MyBIOS and other user-select-able ROM/EXE files.
This is seen/used as ROM. To program this area, you need some skills, perhaps SIO-2-PC/APE or
other means of putting the new ROM-image into flash. The new FAT-loader also makes this possible.
But be careful not garbage the flash-area (this will brick the cartridge)!

MyIDE-][ also has 512k SRAM that can be used as Ramdisk, user or Readonly to run BIN-files loaded from FAT32.
The CF can be used for loading from FAT32 without the use of MyBIOS.
or with the BIOS loaded (to enable the CF-port) to read/write as if an atari-drive.

With the aid of PC-tools, you can transfer atari-files from/to CF were the use of FAT32 is the easy way :)

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:52 pm 

So, when you say "other user-selectable ROM/EXE" files, does this mean that I can take ROM cartridge images that I have and write them to this flash memory space which I can then select to run when I want?

This is what I was actually interested in. I've gone ahead and ordered the cartridge, so I will see how it works when I get it.

Thanks so much for your reply!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 pm 

Yep.
The 512K flash can be programmed however you like and you can add to it some BIN/ROM/EXE/XEX of your choice.
But given MyBios can handle images/partitions on the CF I find much better to do it there, even better FAT32Loader allows you to do it in a FAT32 partition so it's all drag on drop (although compatibility is lower than in Image/Partition mode).
Image/partition mode deal with ATR and not single ROM/BIN/EXE but FAT32Loader does deal with those so it is really a matter of opportunities.

Personally, although you can flash a prepared 512K bin from within FAT32Loader (just tried it last night and it worked) I am not sure I'd go the flash way unless you really really really want that ROM/EXE available from first boot. MyBIOS and FAT32Loader are 1 button click away so not much to be lost in term of time to begin play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:08 am 

What do you use to prepare the 512K bin?

I want to be able to use ROMS for some programming tools that are on catridge ROM format. I have a couple assembler and programming languages that I would like to put into the Flash memory, and leave the CF for disk image files for games and other things that are on disk.

Do you use workbooks to do this?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:38 pm 

Yep, workbook studio, then you export it to myide 2 format and save it on the CF.
On the myide2 you load fat32loader and use ctrl F to load that bin (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1330 , look for "Notes on MyIDE-II Flash Programming").

What I suggest you to do is to download the shipping workbook for myide2 (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1304) and then add/replace to it.

For XEX it is simply a matter to add them, for ROM I am not sure if you need to set up some of the parameters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 am 

Do you know what type of ROM files work with the MyIDE? I am trying to build a workbook using two ROM images I have one is the MAC65 assembler and the other is the ACTION! programming language.

The MAC65 and ACTION! ROMs have file names that end in .ROM but every time I try to add them to a slot in the workbook, I get the following error:

[User Interface] Error loading file "MAC65 _ V1.01.rom" for slot #7, Unable to identify file:
S:\_Atari-8\ROMs\MAC65 _ V1.01.rom
Not a known or supported image.

[User Interface] Error loading file "Action!.rom" for slot #7, Unable to identify file:
S:\_Atari-8\ROMs\Action!.rom
Not a known or supported image.

Is there something I have to do to these ROM files in order to get them to work? They show up as 17KB in Windows but they are supposed to be 16KB ROMs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 am 

OSS-banking is not supported by the MyIDE-][ hardware.
Same goes for ATARIMAX, SIC!, XEGS and other banked cartridges.

MyIDE-][ has it's own banking-mechanism using write-only registers at $D508-$D50F

Only standard 8k / 16k rom-files and R16-files (XEGS-hacks) will work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 pm 

A while ago I did a functional conversion of the OSS Mac/65 cart for myIde ][. Only problem was that I added a few stack routines in it, which made the screen output in the DDT (debug monitor) look weird on scrolling. It did not harm the functionality (everything works just fine).

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]