It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please help setting up MyIDE-II for images, FAT32 and 1050's
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 pm 

Hello,

I am trying to setup MyIDE-II and having some trouble and was hoping to get some assistance here.

First off, my setup consists of:
Linux Mint 15 & Windows 7
Kingston 4GB CF
Atari 800XL
Atari 1050 Disk Drive

I would like to use this cart for transfering files to and from my PC along with loading some roms via Fat32 and disk images via Image-Space.

I have followed the the videos and instructions that I have been able to find(including the MyBios downloadable manual), but still seem to be confused by all of this.

Originally I followed the bootstrapping instructions and was able to boot the cartridge to DOS and format 2GB of my CF card for Fat32 files... That worked well.

Once I got my 1050 disk drive, I wanted to archive an old disk, loaded up Image-Space and figured out how to copy the files from the 1050 to the MyIDE-II, but when I went and loaded the CF into my PC, the files weren't showing up in the Fat32 portion of my CF card. When I used GParted(Linux partition software) to look at the partitions, it showed I have the 2GB Fat32 section and an Unallocated 2GB. So I started doing more research and sifting through all the posts on this forum and started realizing I needed to use the MyIDE Drive Manager software. Well, I loaded that up, but it told me it couldn't find any partitions or something like that(says MyIDE Drive Manager could not identify any drives having configured partitions or image slots).

I then tried following the step-by-step startup guide in the MyBios manual, but still only see a 2GB Fat32 partition and 2GB Unallocated Space.

So... I am lost and need help please!

Sijmen! Please give me a simple step-by-setp walkthrough on how to complete the following steps... I would like to start completely new!

1. Setting up the MyIDE-II for MYDOS boot off the cart via MyBios
2. Setting up Fat32 partition for Fat32 loader files
3. Setting up Image-Space, so I can copy disk images to and from my 1050 Disk Drive
4. Configuring drive #'s so that I can use my 1050 as D1 and also maybe a D2 in the future when I hook up a 2nd 1050 drive
5. Retrieve files copied from 1050 disk drive in Image-Space onto Windows 7 PC
6. Copy ATR's into Image-Space from PC
7. Setting up a partition for Image-Space files? Would this be the Unallocated 2GB section I'm seeing?

Thank you very much!

Post subject: Re: Please help setting up MyIDE-II for images, FAT32 and 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:54 am 

Hi,

I had some strange results with MyIDE manager (you need version lba2) as-well.
Especially when using a pre-used card.
Some how when starting MyIDE_manager, it takes a long time (reading garbage) and stops.

You did run it as administrator?
Windows 7 won't let you access the MBR-sectors without this permission.
I normally run XP, but I remember on my laptop to right-click then choose run as administrator.

Not sure what MyBIOS / MENU-files you are running.
But in the last versions you can ERASE image-names in the MyIDE_MENU.
That will help the manager to start.

All you did is OK.
If you want to start over, just do a auto-init, then erase:yes, that's all.
For image-mode you do not need to create logical-drives.

Changing drive-numbers can be done on-the-fly.
Simply press HELP and Change/Swap.
So you can have any drive at any place at any time :)
In IMAGE-mode, you can not disable IDE from drive #1 (that is fixed in the beta), but removing the card will do the same.

4.8.06 is the last released update.
Other option is that I send you a a work in progress 4.8.B7 (beta).

Let me know how it goes.

Later!
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:20 am 

First off, thanks for the reply. I really want to start using this cart!

Yes, I did try running MyIDE Manager as Administrator, but maybe the problem lies in the version. I have only found and tried LBA and LBA3, so if you could attach LBA2, maybe that would help?

If it's the MyIDE Manager causing my problems, maybe some of the questions I have will be easier for me to figure out :)

Right now, I am still confused on partitions. Why is there 2GB of Unallocated space? Is this where the image files are stored? Should I leave that Unallocated? If I format it, should I use Fat32 or will this delete MyBios files?

I'm not concerned with not having enough space on 2GB for atari files, it's mostly just curiosity! :)

Can you explain how the BOOTPART & MYDOS partitions function, in "MyIDE-II for dummies" terms? :)

How does the drive selecting switching work on the backside of the 1050, if I have my 1050 set at D1 and try loading an image from image space to copy onto a diskette, would I need to have the 1050 set as D2, so that they wouldn't conflict? Since you mentioned Image Space images being set as D1, that was another question I had.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting this thing working!

Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 am 

Hi, I try to answer in sequence.

-MyIDE-manager can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=6960#p6960
Please use the ERASE function in MyIDE-MENU, then try the manager again.
I guess the manager is the problem.

-The Unallocated space is used by MyBIOS, it has the partitions and images.
Windows should not touch this area. The other partition is FAT32 and for the FAT32-loader.

-Dummies: Don't know, the software is based on what I have seen from FDISK, Blackbox and other harddrive-stuff.
Your media is divided in two -windows partitions put in the MBR-, one for fat32, one for MyBIOS.
The MyBIOS partition is used for logical partitions (drive numbers) or images -games- (only drive 1), divided from each other.
The only way to extract from here on PC is to use the MyIDE-manager_LBA2.
This is 3rd party software, so I can't change it, it should work (as it does at my place & many other users)

-You should leave the 1050 on D1: The MyBIOS will select IDE or SIO when in image-copy-mode.
(Be sure to write-protect your diskettes ALWAYS)
The problem I was taking about is once you booted into image-mode, your 1050 is not accessible through SIO.

I know the partition-scheme I created back in 1999 is now a pita.....
But since we need downwards compatibility, it's the way it is.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 am 

Ah, one more reply:

When you start MyBIOS, you have to choose how to boot.
Either in partition-mode or image-mode [for me: game-mode] (press START).
You can not use both.
So when booted in IMAGE-mode, you can only access the disk-images.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 pm 

Sijmen, I am making some progress, thanks to your assistance!

The version I have of MyBIOS-F2 is 4.8.05

The MyIDE Manager LBA2 solved the issues with that program not working in Windows 7. Running it under administrator seems to work fine! For some reason LBA and LBA3 versions did not work for me and those were the only ones I was able to find. So thank you for the link to LBA2!

I was able to copy ATR's to the Image-Space using that program on my PC. Also, I was able to copy a disk image from my 1050 to the Image-Space on the CF card using the > command, but for some reason I can't copy ATR files from the Image-Space to a formatted diskette in my 1050 drive. When I select the image in the list and use the < command, the screen flickers for about a half second, the blue light on the MyIDE-II cart flashes just as quickly, but it never gives me a RED screen, where the manual states I press Y to confirm and my 1050 drive read light never comes on. So... I can now copy ATR's to CF with the drive manager, copy images from disks to the CF using Image-Space, but I cannot copy ATR images from Image-Space to my disk drive!

The drive manager let me create an ATR of a disk dump, so I am making progress, but do you know what I am doing wrong with the ATR to Disk issue?? Is this is a software bug, drive config issue?? Since the > command works, I would assume the < command would work the same, just reverse!

Please continue to help my poor soul!

Thanks,

Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 am 

Hi,

Copy from IMAGE to SIO is a system-bug, not fixed in the last stable release. (sorry).
See the link I send you about LBA2, that is the firmware topic & updates.
So that will not work on the version you have.

Later!
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm 

Ahhh... I see! Well, I am already looking forward to version 7 now!

Thank you for all of you help and continued support of this device and forum. Wonderful device!

I will be patient for the new MyBIOS update :) Hopefully soon!

Is updating the MyBIOS version something I will be able to do with the Maxflash Studio?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:33 am 

Ok, :)

I normally upload updates as separate files, workbook and 512k bin-file.
The easy way is to use the bin-file and with FAT32-loader choose control-F to flash it.
But more advanced user can use/modify the workbook, or drag/drop the new files in there own workbook.
Still, be careful what you do, a wrongly selected flash and your cartridge is useless if you do not have a atarimax-programmer or SIO2PC-cable!

I have a working BETA, so if you want, send me a p.m. and you get a copy.
Let me know then what files you want.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 am 

PM sent!

Thanks Sijmen!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]