It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:41 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: YOU DONT NEED ATR FILES!! ( MOSTLY )
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:22 pm 

I have found that atarionline.pl has .xex versions of most games on their site. I was very relieved to see this as there is not a formal tutorial on how to get .atr's running on the myide II. Some demos made the cut as well. :D

Post subject: Re: YOU DONT NEED ATR FILES!! ( MOSTLY )
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 am 

Except for multiple disk games :roll:

There are many good sites with XEX or ATR files.
Just take the one you like or runs on your configuration.
:wink:

Later!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:09 am 

I do not have the MyIDE II (yet) but am trying to prepare myself. Am I to understand that XEX files are either easier to run on it or more efficient than ATR images? I have been out of the 8-bit scene for a few years, and the last I used was my computer (and APE) sending ATR images to my 800XL via serial to SIO. So, I am quite new to MyIDE II.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:24 am 

For beginners:
XEX files are easy to use with the FAT32-loader.

For more advanced users, that use MyBIOS:
The other option are the 4 x 16MB disks full with XEX-files to be loaded with PICODOS (also included).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 am 

thanks for the tip phalno

I recently got my MyIDEII and I'm really excited using the FAT32 loader. Can't stop playing Megamania and Comando. I'll try the xex files for the Great American Cross Country race and the Quest for Quintana Roo (classics I enjoyed on the 2600)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:23 am 

mr-atari wrote:
For beginners:
XEX files are easy to use with the FAT32-loader.

For more advanced users, that use MyBIOS:
The other option are the 4 x 16MB disks full with XEX-files to be loaded with PICODOS (also included).

Bumping an old thread, but I have an idea which I really want to work out.

Although I don't see any need of using those 4x16MB disks, since one can run the same files from FAT32, it would be great to work out this idea.

I wrote a universal binary loader for MyIDE ][ / MyBIOS. This transfers a binary file first to SRAM, and then a small routine at $0700 is started, and the binary runs. So even with MyBIOS -F1 and -F2 it is possible to run virtually any XEX file. No need for MyBIOS -R1 or -R2

So my idea is now to modify PicoDos / or to write a new kind of PicoDos that is compatible with the PicoDos.TXT file, which uses my universal loader. So people could use those 16MB partitions with MyBIOS -F1 and F2.

I need to discuss this with Hiassoft (author of PicoDos) first. Technically it is not that difficult.

Another interesting thing is that I modified some DISK-Only games using the THE!CART tool so these disks stay (modified) in SRAM and a small loader is in $0400 area, so disk-only games run from SRAM without the need of MyBIOS -R1 or -R2

I now can run games like Cropky (disk only), Johny's Trouble (64K version is diskonly), ECKN+ (disk only) on MyBIOS-F while normally these games need MyBIOS -R1 or -R2 to run. Quite cool I must say.

Other disk only games were already converted to AtariMaxflash 1Mbit, so I modified some of those games for MyIDE ][ (see the R16 thread).

Not found a solution for multidisk games yet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]