It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions on the capabilities of the MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:04 am 

Hello! I have the MyIDE-II and its working great. I was wondering if its possible to load multi-disk games? Like mount 3 disks of flight simulator 2 or two disks of chessmaster 2000? I have my MyDos partitions and 2 drives setup drive 1 is mydos boot and drive 2 is storage for ATR images. Is there a solution/method for multi disk software/games? Also when MyBios is loaded I assume it eats up more memory on top of the system bios or does it bank out the system bios and replace it with MyBIOS? If the MyIDE-II cant do multi disk games can another product (I love the MyIDE-II but just wondering) for instance the SIO2SD or SIO2IDE? I dont want to hook it to a PC so the SIO2PC is not for me. Thanks for any info :)

Post subject: Re: Questions on the capabilities of the MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:02 am 

OK I found the answer to multi disk images here: viewtopic.php?p=7205#p7205 although I didnt see that part in the manual. I'll have to look again. I found my answer about the ram too and that the fat32 loader releases the ram after kickstarting. I found a post with a sideloader for tempest xtreme. Mybios replaces the OSrom and banks out the original so thats nice.

Any instructables out there for burning a MyBIOS rom and installing a bios switcher? Ive written eeproms for the PC before using a special ISA card.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:42 pm 

What a about loading atr images with the fat32 loader which requires osb rom? does that affect available memory? Why load osb rom if its already included on the system board or is it banked out on cartridge boot automatically? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 am 

I can't reply much about the fat32-loader, that is written by Steve.
But I know this: the ATR-loader does use a RAM-OS based on the OSB-system to load/run.
So any software that needs OSRAM-space too, will not load/work.

Same limitations goes for MyBIOS when this is loaded from the cartridge.

MyBIOS that runs from ROM is the alternative option yes.
Be sure to have matching firmware in ROM and on the cartridge.

I use 28c256 at the moment and have a ZIF-socket in my atari.
The 28c256 are easier to re-program then UV-eproms like 27C128.
This flashrom is pin compatible but is 32k in size.
Since pin_1 in normally high on the atari-socket, you need to burn MyBIOS in the upper half.

Saying this, you can burn the stock OS in the lower half and change pin_1 to a switch-able low/high for selection.
That is what I do.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]