It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scott Adams Adventures
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm 

Hi all,

Again I'm feeling worried that the 1Meg cart forum has gone a whole year without being updated and so to rectify that I'm posting up a second compilation image that was a work-in-progress of mine (but hasn't seen any progress since last year :().

Similar to the Mysterious Adventures compilation cart, the menu uses the select key to move the game selector on which then wraps back to the top. The start key then begins that title.

The cart can also be booted with 'option' held down to bypass the cart (e.g. for re-programming).

I was able to run through a number of the adventures to ensure that they can be completed and so far so good, but don't consider this a final release - especially as saving/loading support isn't in. Again, future thought here is to add flash mem saving to complete the project.

Those SA fans may have spotted that "THE GOLDEN VOYAGE" is absent, this was due to Scott not being able to obtain permission from the co-writer of this title and so couldn't 'bless' its inclusion in the same way he did when I asked him about producing a flashcart image last year. Therefore this freed up some space to put the "Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle" on in its place. :)

The game data comes from the Value Pack disks on Atarimania.

Enjoy,
Mark

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 pm 

Awesome work Mark!

Are there any banks unused that you were thinking of using for saving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

Thanks Shawn,

As is stands all space was taken in a 128KB image so the approach would be to pre-process the text and use a simple compression technique on it to reduce the space it takes up and then organize the ROM content to free up a whole bank that could be used for the save game states.

The cart as it stands now has taken what used to run in 24K and now permits this to be run on a 16K machine, so it should even run on a stock 400 or 600XL. 8)

The support for the cart-save requires copying the save bank to memory which is then updated, the flash bank erased and the memory written back. This would be safest done in a currently unused area of memory, e.g. starting at $6000 but then of course you need a 32K or more machine to support this (in this day and age this is probably OK though). But it would be fun to try and see if the game data (i.e. not game state data) could be overwritten with the save-bank and then restore the game data after saving, ultimately letting it still be supported on a 16K machine. However that's probably too much effort and I should stick to the basics first. :D

Regards,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 pm 

Can the 1mb cart flash a 8k chunk? It would probably be fairly easy to allow saving/restoring to disk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:19 am 

My mistake, you have 8 banks of 16K blocks in a 128KB device

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:42 am 

Very cool. Nicely done.

Post subject: Re: Scott Adams Adventures
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 am 

Hi.. thanks for this.. but the atr disk does not seem to boot in any emulator.

Edit:

ok. Nevermind.. Apparently the disks expect basic to be present and they attempt to disable it. So I have to make sure basic is not automatically "disabled" by the emulators.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]