It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ramdisk driver for Flashcart?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:31 am 

Hi,

I would like to know if a ramdisk driver for SpartaDOS is planned for the Flashcart? This is an option I would love to see...

TXG/MNX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:37 am 

Not an easy task I think. The cart is developed to load and start cartridge-images to an Atari 8-bit (and saving prepared images to it), not to load and save files from/to it, but who knows what's possible with special software.

Post subject: Re: Ramdisk driver for Flashcart?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:50 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

TXG/MNX wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if a ramdisk driver for SpartaDOS is planned for the Flashcart? This is an option I would love to see...

TXG/MNX

This would be possible with the MMC cart since you can erase very small portions of it and essentially use it the same way you might use a MMC card in a PC card reader.

The 1Mb and 8Mb cartridges both use block-erase flash. To write to the cartridge you would always have to erase at least one block, which is 1/8th of the total space in the 1Mb cart and 1/16th of the total space in the 8Mb cart.

The MMC cart is going to be all open source too so if someone has the will to write such a driver it will happen. I dont know anything about how Spartados SYS drivers work at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:43 am 

I guess my reply is a little off-topic, but then again I have something interesting perhaps:

On my 600xl I have the MyIDE cartridge made by Sijmen Schouten (Mr. Atari). I have bought a COMPACT FLASH -> IDE adapter, and now I have a 64mb CF-card attached to my Atari 8bit.

It runs like a harddrive and boots spartados. I can run 99% of al binary games with an adapted version of the Micro SpartaDos game menu of Bewe Soft. I had to hack this gamemenu for use with MyIDE.

It is really great.

Bad part of the story: MyIDE needs a patched os. I made some changes to the original MyIDE os; now I have a cold-boot hotkey, and that rulezzz.

Greetz,
Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:18 am 

very nice hack :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]