It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ultima IV Cartridge (4 Disk Game)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:31 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

This multi-disk cartridge features:

No disk flipping, completely seamless game play across all 4 disks.

Save and restore of your characters from the cartridge flash memory automatically.

Flash memory requires no batteries and will retain your character data for at least 20 years without any power.

This image also uses the latest beta maxflash software kit, which should make the cartridge program much faster than a full 8mbit cartridge image.

The cartridge requires:

One 8mbit Flash Cartridge

Atari XL/XE series computer with at least 64k RAM.

Cartridge image is posted below. If you would like a 8mbit flash cartridge with a custom Ultima IV label send an e-mail to classics@atarimax.com or PM to classics. Price is the same as a blank 8mbit cartridge.

(Note: you must be logged in to see images or files)

Steve

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:18 pm 

Something interesting or not -

This image and the U3 one would not work when I had Warp OS as the default OS. I had to switch back to the normal XE OS for the cart to load - anyone else experience this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:04 pm 

Yes, I noticed this too. The U2 image I am working on works with the APE OS though for some reason. This may be due to updated flashcart software (maybe?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:23 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I believe its a bug in the current kit that does not check the value of the SIO vector before changing it.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:04 pm 

goochman wrote:
Something interesting or not -

This image and the U3 one would not work when I had Warp OS as the default OS. I had to switch back to the normal XE OS for the cart to load - anyone else experience this?

Yes, I just loaded U4 to my flashcart and the same thing happened to me. I couldn't get it to properly install the flash program WITHOUT WARP OS, but then to run U4 off the cart, I had to switch back to a normal Atari OS. So I guess there is something about Warp that isn't compatible with Ultima, at least not on cart. I haven't tried to load the Ultima disks yet with Warp+ installed. Most other programs seem to work fine with Warp+ this is the first that hasn't, but it's also the very first image I've tried on the flashcart, so I may come to find out that programs that will load off of disk and work with Warp+ act differently and won't accept it when loading from the flashcart...? Well, whtever the reason it's not working, that's why I got the 32-in-1 OS in the first place; for total compatiblity. So if I have to change the OS before using Ultima off the flash cart, then so be it. I just hope Myide OS works with Ultima when I get around to installing it on my HD. I won't be able to change OS's in that case, if I want to use the HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:38 am 

Gunstar wrote:
I just hope Myide OS works with Ultima when I get around to installing it on my HD. I won't be able to change OS's in that case, if I want to use the HD.

Ultima III, yes. Ultima IV, not that I know of.

Post subject: Multidisk to Cart
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:25 pm 

Looks like this multicart is kind of empty. Any reason why these cannot coexist with other games on an 8m cart?

Will there be a multidisk tutorial on the documentation page?

thanks...len!

Post subject: Re: Multidisk to Cart
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:10 pm 

WizWor wrote:
Looks like this multicart is kind of empty. Any reason why these cannot coexist with other games on an 8m cart?

The games need to be "hacked" to work with the multicart for multidisk games, not to mention the coding that needs to be done to get them to save to flashcart rather than disk.

It wouldn't be impossible to get them to coexist, but difficult with the existing tools. I know you can put multiple one-disk games on the same cartridge with the MakeMenu program.

Quote:
Will there be a multidisk tutorial on the documentation page?

I thought about writing one myself, but then again, I haven't actually got my game conversions to work properly. ;) Ultima III and Ultima II are still works in progress, since there is a bug where the monsters don't get saved properly to flash on one world. Still haven't looked into that in detail yet.

Anyway, unless you know or are willing to learn some assembly language programming, multi-disk games to flashcart are (with the current tools) not possible.

Post subject: Re: Multidisk to Cart
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:00 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
I know you can put multiple one-disk games on the same cartridge with the MakeMenu program.

That's what I was thinking. I wondered how these multidisk games got onto the maxflash image -- is the game one big disk image? If so, could makemenu be used to drop a couple of these on a cart?
Shawn Jefferson wrote:
unless you know or are willing to learn some assembly language programming, multi-disk games to flashcart are (with the current tools) not possible.

Not sure I'm up to the task, but I'd like to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 pm 

How would I convert this thing so it can be run from an emulator? Or do I need to dig out my maxflash cart in order to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 pm 

You'd need to write the code to emulate writing to an 8mb flashcart first, then recompile the emulator. Then you could use a .bin image of the Ultima IV flashcart on the emulator.

I think that maybe Wrathchild has done some work on this. I'd like to see a working flashcart emulation that allows flashing... that'd make some of the project I should finish much easier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:50 pm 

I have incorporated writing to flash and the code should be already in the A800Win emulator, and also in the Atari++ emulator, but not yet in an A800WinPLus as the last one was something like V4 beta 7. However I have built an exe on that source code with the Flash support added and so will endeavour to post it up soon. If you can't wait then grab the current Atari++ ;)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:01 pm 

Emulator binary posted to the 'Flash Cartridge Discussion' forum

Post subject: Re: Ultima IV Cartridge (4 Disk Game)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm 

UPDATE: I figured it out. I had to directly flash only the game atr, not make a workbook.

---- old post below ----

Hope someone can help me.

I just got my Atarimax today, and I'm trying to make an 8Mb cart with this game on it.

I copied the atr to slot one, but in both Atari800win and on my actual Atari computer, when I run the game I get a blue screen saying something like:

ATARIMAX Flash Utility Build 08152009
Copyright 2009 Steven J Tucker

Unable to detect flash cartridge

If you are recovering ... etc.

I think my software and hardware are setup right as I was able to successfully flash this mcw and it works on my computer: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2569

FWIW I'm using 64bit Windows 10.

Post subject: Re: Ultima IV Cartridge (4 Disk Game)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:01 pm 

Are there different kinds of 8mbit cartridges? I tried to flash this image to one of my new 8mbit cartridges i just got from Steve (translucent cartridge case). When i boot the atr image from Fujinet, i always get the message "unable to detect flash cartridge". If i insert my older cart (black case) which i bought in 2005 i can flash without problems.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next