It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ProSystem problem -- suggestions please
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 pm 

Hello,

I purchased a SIO2PC cable (serial, not the USB kind) and the APE software several years ago and have been happily using it ever since.

However, I could never get ProSystem to work. I would always get a "No drives found on COM1" error every time I opened it. It is unusual because I know that COM1 is working; that is how I interface with the Atari in APE.

Anyway, I always ignored it and got around the problem by using my sector copier software in a virtual disk (D2) to copy it to an actual disk in D1. Not as convenient as writing directly from an ATR or XFD file, but it works.

But now I want to write a bunch of disks and I thought I'd finally try and get to the bottom of this if possible. I cannot seem to figure it out, though. Any suggestions?

I am using Windows XP Professional (32 bit). My APE and ProSystem are registered version 2.3.2. Let me know if there is any info I can provide. If it cannot be fixed, it is not too much of a problem, it would just be really convenient to use it.

Post subject: Re: ProSystem problem -- suggestions please
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 am 

Wow -- that is an old version of APE. I haven't used the Pro System in some time and I can't set it up right now since my "Atari PC" is under major renovations for about another week, but the first thing that I would do is to send AtariMax a request for an update to the current version of the APE software. One of the benefits of being registered is that they are normally free. Having said that, I'm not sure about going from version 2 of APE to version 3 being free, but do ask. Also, is your interface a "dual" interface that you got from Steve? You say that you bought an SIO2PC cable, but not that it is an APE dual interface. A regular SIO2PC cable won't work with Pro System -- it is slightly different.
-Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 pm 

Hi Larry, thanks for replying!

Yes, I assume by now that my version of APE must be very old. I suppose I should just try the later version before investigating any further.

I have no problem purchasing the latest version. In fact I'd rather do that because I want to support Steven and his excellent work, and I haven't ordered anything from him in a while. I'll order it within a few days and give the new software a shot.

I honestly am not sure what I have. It is certainly not the standard SIO2PC cable though, because I ordered one of those before APE was out and it looked very different. The thing I have now isn't actually a cable at all -- heh, I'm not sure why I called it that, I guess I haven't looked at it in a while. It's actually a unit that has an input for an SIO cable on one side and a PC serial cable on the other side. I did buy it from Steven. Is this the unit you are referring to?

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 am 

Hi Matt-
Please go to this page and see if your interface looks like one of the serial types at the top-right of the page.

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

If it of this type, then yes, it should work fine with ProSys. Scroll to the bottom of that page and look at chapter 3 -- the ProSys chapter. If you are doing those steps correctly, then you may have an interface issue or cable issue. Please let us know what you find.

Edit: Are you using a 1050 drive or something else, and is it "stock?" Also, I noticed that the "trial version" of APE (mostly) supports ProSys, but if you install the trial version of APE, then you likely will not be able to re-install your current version.

-Larry

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]