It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: new to all of this...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:28 am 

Hello all,

My name is WaxonWaxov (it's a long story)

I am currently a Financial Database Developer for a Major Financial Institution. (in other words, a computer nerd)

I got my start in programming in 1983 with an Atari 400. About a year later I got an 800XL.

I did a lot a game programming back then, thanks mostly to the book, "Dr. C. Wacko's Miracle Guide to Designing and Programming Your Own Atari Computer Arcade Games" by David Heller.

About a week ago I visited the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago to see the vintage video game exhibit. This inspired me to go back to my roots of Atari programming just for fun.

Unfortunately, when I joined the Navy in 1990 my parents decided to store ALL my vintage equipment in..... the shed :shock:

I 'rescued' it all about three years ago, but a dozen years of temperature swings as well as more mouse crap than I care to discuss left it all ruined. :cry:

So this week I've aquired an 800XL on Ebay (of course) and a thing called a "SIO2PC" cable, neither of which I've gotten yet.

So what software do I need to connect my 800xl to my (year old) Dell PC?

I'll be able to use my PC as a storage system for the 800xl, right?

If I am able to aquire a 1050 disk drive, would the new 5.25 inch disks I would find at Office Max (if they have any at all) be compatable?

Thanks for all your help, and thanks for this web site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:07 pm 

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Too bad about all your old stuff.

You'll need to get the SIO2PC or APE software to run the connection from the Atari to the PC. Your Atari will see the PC as a real disk drive and you can create disk images up to 16M with MyDos or SpartaDos.

I don't know if you can still get the old SS/SD 5.25" disks in the mainstream stores these days but you can get them at B&C Computervisions or BEST Electronics here on the web.

Post subject: Re: new to all of this...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:16 am 

densonj wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Too bad about all your old stuff.

Thanks for the welcome, information, and condolences.

The thing is, the loss of the hardware doesn't bother me that much as I've discovered I can aquire vintage hardware for not a lot of money (just bought an 800XL, 1010 tape drive, 1050 Disk Drive, and 1025 printer with all cables for $90) 8)

What breaks my heart is the fact tht all those basic programs I wrote are lost the 5.25's were stored outdoors as well. :cry:

The package I bought also includes a cartridge that in the picture says "Atarimax Instant MyDOS Cartridge" is that what you're talking about for "my DOS"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:31 am 

The AtariMax MyDOS cartridge should work as well as the disk-based version although I have not actually tried the cartridge version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:58 am 

I have a similar question so I will keep it in this thread.
I just bought the SIO2PC and wanted to know what I need in regards of software to do the tasks I want to do.
I want to use my computer (PC) to load software onto my Atari 800XL.
Secondly, I have tons of archived .atr files and would want to put some of them back onto a 5.25" floppy disc. How would I be able to do this? I downloaded the APE software, but do I need the registered version for this, or any other software for that matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

DigitalDaredevil wrote:
I have a similar question so I will keep it in this thread.
I just bought the SIO2PC and wanted to know what I need in regards of software to do the tasks I want to do.
I want to use my computer (PC) to load software onto my Atari 800XL.

For the first task, all you need is APE or a another SIO2PC program on your PC.

Set APE drive #1 as a bootable ATR image, like the MyDOS 4.53 image that comes with APE, then turn on the Atari and you can boot directly from the PC.

For copying files back and forth it is a similar process, just set your real disk drive to drive #2, then use a copy program on the Atari to copy from drive #1 (APE) to drive #2 (your real 1050).

Quote:
Secondly, I have tons of archived .atr files and would want to put some of them back onto a 5.25" floppy disc. How would I be able to do this? I downloaded the APE software,

You can do that with APE as well. You will need a 'sector copier' program on the Atari. One is included with APE on he MyDOS Utilities Diskette called 'MyCopier'.

Set your real 1050 disk drive as drive #2, then load the MyDOS Utilities Diskette into APE drive #1 and boot the Atari from it, selecting the MyCopier program from the menu.

When MyCopier has started, set the source drive to drive #1 and the destination drive to drive #2.

Then load the ATR image you want to write to disk in APE drive #1 and start the copy. When its done, you will have a copy of the ATR in APE drive #1 on the floppy disk in your 1050. :)

Quote:
but do I need the registered version for this, or any other software for that matter?

Registration removes the startup delay and allow high speed I/O to work. If the trial version meets your needs you can use it, it will not expire.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]