It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting new Atari rig going on
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:01 am 

Back in my early teens I seen my first computer, an Atari 800. I was awed with it and wanted those games :) yes i had him copy some games on my 5 1/4 disks i bought that summer (about 30 disks ) I picked up my first 800xl and 1050 disk drive. Then in 1985 I started my BBS the Atari Castle a dedicated phone line with my 130 xe and 2 DD 1050 drives, 850 interface 1200 baud modem, that lasted a few years. ( I still have a 1050 with a write protect toggle and a few parts ) Anyways, i am buying off ebay a cherry atari 800 in the box :) and getting my sio2pc cord. And im looking forward to it, oh i Nick named your sio2pc the nerd cord. haha im sure that is what it will look like but that is great. L8R

White Knight

Post subject: Computer showed up DOA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:54 am 

Well i got that atari 800 about a week ago and got it hooked up yesterday for the first time and it turns the picture on the screen a bit darker when turned on and sometimes makes a PC beeping sound when turned on, i checked the ram and it was in tight, I guess I'm going to have to take the pc boards out and look it over before i sent it back to the the guy from ebay. No picure from 2 cartridges and no picture on memo pad. This is such a nice looking machine too, ill eventually get a working one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:36 am 

Did you try taking out the ROM and RAM boards and putting them back in? Also, taking a pencil/pen eraser to the contacts on those ROM/RAM modules might help.

I bought an 800 some time ago that had similiar issues and managed to get it going just by taking the cards in and out a couple of times. The contacts can oxidize and not conduct properly sometimes.... this is afterall a 20+ year old machine that may not have even been used the last 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 pm 

Last night before reading this I completely took it apart taking care to make sure the ram and rom were seated good and taking a flashlight and carefully looked ovr the PC boards but found nothing, pushed all the chips in securely, everything looked good, of course i have no idea what i'm exactly looking for except for the obvious, i put the machine back together and it is still acting the same, me and the ebay guy worked it out and he refunded half of what i paid for it, so im getting another atari 800 and keep the old one till i can get it repaired or for parts. Got my iso2pc cord in yesterday, Very surprised at how small it is.

White Knight

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]