It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Delays using my new dual port, RS232 Universal SIO2PC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 pm 

Hi all, I have been having an issue with my new SOI2pc, RS232 device. It often pauses during reads from APE to my 130XE. Sometimes these pauses last so long it become hard to judge if it's going to take up again, or if things have crashed. It doesn't always do this, but often, in the midst of a read, it will just stop, maybe for 60 seconds or more, then just startup again and finish the boot successfully.

I bought this device to replace a Atari8warez SIO21050 device which finally went belly up after years of use. I am using the same PC, and other hardware that I used before with no issues. I'm hoping someone might know what is causing this.

I also have failed connecting any external power to the SIO2PC device. It only will operate if there is an Atari computer attached to it. I even tried connecting a 5 VDC source to a spare SIO plug, pins 4 grnd pin 10 5+VDC, but the TX light comes on with the power light, no matter where I connect a power souce, and nothing works. I had hoped to use this to write images to real disks in a separate installation fom my Atari computers.

Any advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Delays using my new dual port, RS232 Universal SIO2PC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:05 am 

Better send a email directly to Steve, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:25 am 

I can't seem to get a response from Steve, but I have discovered that the serial SIO2PC works fine on a much slower computer. I was using a early 2000s HP laptop running XP. It's the computer I have used for this purpose for years with an SIO21050 device that recently died. It's a good thing I had a really old Win98 PC to try. I would love to use this new SIO2PC device without having an Atari computer hooked up to power it, but it won't function with any other power source. I guess I'll have to figure that out on my own too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:09 am 

Be patient to contact Steve, he is a busy guy.

I have the same here, I need to have my A8 powered up, to be able to use SIO2PC to read/write from my 1050.
Not a big issue for me.

For older software/hardware, I have "Oracle VM VirtualBox" installed om my Win10-PC.
It runs windows XP and works great with my old hardware that Win10 does not see or supports.
I can recommend that to everyone who have Win10.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]