It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: APE - setting up disk drives
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 pm 

I have the version of APE that came with my SIO2PC usb device. Everything works great - the thing is fantastic.

There is one thing I am not sure how to do: let's say I have a game like the Witness by Infocom. It has two disks - I put them both into APE in drive 1 and 2 respectively.

When the game begins, it asks for the second disk to be placed in the drive. So presumably it does not see the second disk drive at all. There are a few other games like this (Mail Order Monsters, Seven Cities of Gold, etc.).

Is there a way, through APE, to get these games to "know" that the disk they are looking for is sitting in a second (virtual) drive? Or, to do this, do I need to make a multicart?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

These games were originally distributes as 'flippies', for use with one drive. So even if you have more than one drive, they will never use it, they always expect the game/data disk to be in drive #1.

There are a few smarter titles like Alternate Reality that will find disk sides spread across multiple drives, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 am 

Is it impossible to use flippies with SIO2PC? I would guess that you could flip the disk by attaching another image at the appropriate time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 pm 

classics wrote:
These games were originally distributes as 'flippies', for use with one drive. So even if you have more than one drive, they will never use it, they always expect the game/data disk to be in drive #1.

There are a few smarter titles like Alternate Reality that will find disk sides spread across multiple drives, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Ah. thanks, I didn't know that. That's awesome that AR will find the drives correctly, as that was a game I was playing last night and wondering if I could really get into it, due to the fact that it has you flipping pretty regularly. I'll setup APE with all four disks in order and hopefully that will work okay.

This also clarifies how you got the Ultima 4 cart to work (I started it and saw that it lets you pick from one to two drives). I can't even imagine going into a 25 year old game, running through the code in Assembler and patching it to add extra disk drives. That is awesome work. I never played the game much, as I had a PC growing up (and solved U3 and got pretty sick of the cyan and magenta graphics) but the thing looks beautiful on the 8-bit. It looks like you made the game quite playable with no flipping, thanks on that, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:59 am 

WizWor wrote:
Is it impossible to use flippies with SIO2PC? I would guess that you could flip the disk by attaching another image at the appropriate time.

Simply attach side 1 image as drive 1 and side 2 image as drive 2. When asked for the other side, press then 1 and 2 buttons (in APE) to swap the drives and effectively "flip" the disks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]