It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: RS232 SIO2PC - Not booting HELP!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 am 

Hi All

I've just joined the forum as I have started to get back into a bit of retro computing, but I have run into an issue.

My set up is as follows:

Atari 800 XL with APE warp os 32-in-1
SIO2PC RS232 version with Atarimax supplied serial cable
Dell Inspiron 3500 running Windows ME (I chose this setup as I have APE registered, and the laptop is in good order with what appears to be a suitable serial port, even if a little old)
APE 2.4.2 (Also a little old, I'll be emailing for an update soon!)

I have run through the APE setup wizard, and everything seems tickety boo, however no matter what OS I boot the Atari up to, it simply doesn't boot from the SIO2PC disk 1.

Ths SIO2PC shows a red power on light and if I select the original XL OS and boot with option held down, I get the buzzing sound, and the middle light on the SIO2PC flickers, then nothing happens, even with a bootable disk loaded into drive 1.

If I select an alternative OS, such as APE Warp, when I boot I get much the same, with the centre light flickering during the boot buzz, then it drops into self test on account of the auto disable of basic.

I have an unmodifed 65XE I will test on, have tried several different SIO cables and am trying to sort out an alternative laptop with APE on it as I have a few old spares that will run Windoows 98/ME/2000 with no problems.

However, until I've managed to do all of that, if anybody has any suggestions, I'd be happy to try them out!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: RS232 SIO2PC - Not booting HELP!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

Quick follow up, the 65XE doean't play either, and they boot up fine with my 1050, so looks like the laptop :-(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

Bugger, it was the laptop that did it.......

Now working on a crappy old 486 lappy that I nearly chucked out!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:09 pm 

The final call seems to be that the old 486 lappy wasn't up to the job, with slooooow load times, plus bluescreens. I have now moved it onto XP on an old Fujitsu tablet PC that happens to have a docking cradle with a serial port :-), and it is working just fine. With the APE Warp os, load times are phenomenal too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:03 am 

Hi. I think i know what the problem is. The newer computers do have a serial port, but they are mostly of the time installed with an automatic modem device that arranges the port in and out traffic. PLEASE correct me if im wrong, people, but i think this is a main issue to people who use a brand new computer with a new serial port.

I had the same problem, and therefore i ordered an SIO2USB interface, im sure that will work fine.
I dont know if the USB interface is compatible with USB 3.0 yet, because im new at this site, but thats no problem for me yet, because i have 2.0 USB ports anyway.

I hope this helps you, and other people aswell. :)

Regards,
Wolf. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]