It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Newcomer frustration...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 am
Posts: 8
Hi, friends.

Yesterday I soldered my first SIO2PC One chip MAX233 board.
Successfully, it works.
:D
But there are some strange dataflow terminations, may be up to 1 minute or more time gaps in data transmission. After that, connection sporadically reestablish itself.
And then, after a little period of smooth work terminates again...

Does anyone knows something about this?
There is lack of technical information in Internet about real work with SIO2PC.

Please help me. Show me how I can eliminate that?

PS
Sorry for my terrible English.
I'm from Russia. :oops:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:37 pm
Posts: 228
Location: Arizona USA
Hi,

Some info is here.. Hope it helps../http://j131atari.webpark.pl


I have made one also but now I bought one of the USB interface here from Steve..

RoyE



_________________
RoyE
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:15 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 am
Posts: 8
Hi, RoyE.

Thank you very much for your early reply.
Sorry, but buying interface from Steve is not a way for me.
No sence to explain why and how...
Russian banking and American banking is so different...
Here it's so difficult and so expensive that PayPal payments are almost impossible. The same is concerned other ways.

Thats why I soldered internal inteface myself.
The schematic is standard for MAX233. Capasitor value - as recomended.
I checked circuit once and twice and ...

Nevertheless, my schematic is here.
Maybe some Guru can help me.

ezswift


There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:51 am
Posts: 68
Location: The Netherlands
I never saw the MAX-233 design but I build many SIO2PC interfaces with the MAX-232 chip, all without problems.

Schematics of the MAX_232 version can be found here: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/SIO2PC or on Nick Kennedy's website: http://pages.suddenlink.net/wa5bdu/sio2pc.htm

Robert



_________________
Better 8 hours at work than not sleep at all.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 am
Posts: 8
Hi Robert.

It's almost the same design.
MAX233 contains 4 capasitors integrated in IC.

I think that there are no problems with schematic or soldering at all.
There are some problems with Windows and it's interconnections with APE.
I read something about problems with stalling data transmission between fast machines and SIO2PC. :-(

Nevertheless I'll try to make work in VirtualPC. Hope it will work perfectly.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1039
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Are you using a real serial port or a USB->Serial adapter cable?

If its a real serial port, is the serial port on the main board of the computer or an expansion card?

Can you run the APE configuration wizard, then at the end, press the diagnostic information button and post that text?

Also, if you can get a 1489 IC, the 1489 circuit is much easier to build and debug.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:33 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 am
Posts: 8
Hi, Steve.

I'm using real plain serial cable and RS232 circuitry placed on motherboard.

Here is Diagnostic data:
Diagnostic for COM1
---------------------------------------------
Bytes received: 421
Valid command frames: 84
DSR: -1
CTS: -1
RING: 7139
PH2 Latency: 1759
Strategy: 3

Diagnostic for COM*(2-8)
---------------------------------------------
Unable to open this port.
...

BTW
I,ve tried to run Atari810 as control program.
SIO emulation on COM1 starts successfully, but reading data from emulated drive stops on sector 0.
31 53 00 00 84 [D1: status sector 0]
Then Atari 130XE goes to Self test or to BASIC.
Maybe Atari810 needs another control line. Not the RI...

Thank you for APE Steve. It's powerful and flexible.
Yes, I should prefere to buy it from AtariMax but there are unbeleivable problems here in Russia to make Internet payments. No mean via PayPal or some another way.

May be later...

Sorry for my English, OK?

Best wishes from Moscow,
Evgeni


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:59 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1039
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Try connecting RS232 pins 6, 8 and 9 together. Then change the command line method to DSR in the APE configuration.

If it still does not work I would suspect there is some data being lost that is sent from the Atari to RS232 pin 2.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:25 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 am
Posts: 8
Hi, Steve.

The interface works well now.
I tried all changes in settings and found that default settings gives NIRVANA.

The problem is that I changed settings much earier
than soldered One-chip MAX233 interface and so I lost the settings and all work has failed.

With your default settings all works well. :-)

Many thanks, Steve.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron