It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help Using REMOTE.COM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 am 

On the "newstuff" page under "What's New in APE 1.16", one of the bullets for REMOTE.COM says "See users manual for a complete description".
I have looked everywhere I can think of (including the distribution CD-ROM), but have not been able to find this elusive "users manual".
Can someone tell me where to find the documentation so that I can learn how to use this program?
Thanks,
-Alan-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Alan,

The remote.com program will let you load, swap and unload disk images from the Atari side without using the PC. I suggest you put it on a flash cartridge if you want to be able to load it without messing with the PC at all.

You are correct, the manual does not have any extended information about remote.com in it, I'll try to add something about it.

If you have any specific questions about its operation please post them or e-mail me and I will try to help.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:51 am 

classics wrote:
Hi Alan,

The remote.com program will let you load, swap and unload disk images from the Atari side without using the PC. I suggest you put it on a flash cartridge if you want to be able to load it without messing with the PC at all.

You are correct, the manual does not have any extended information about remote.com in it, I'll try to add something about it.

If you have any specific questions about its operation please post them or e-mail me and I will try to help.

Thanks

Steve

Steve-

Does Remote.com still work with WinAPE or just APE for Dos? This was also posted at AtariAge, and I tried Remote.com without success in WInAPE. (?)

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:20 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

It does work fine with APE for Windows as well.

APE for Windows also has a newer remote control API that can do other things like create disk images remotely. Steve Carden's RealDOS has some utilities that use these functions.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:21 pm 

Some of the MyIDE utilities I've written also use these APE functions. The MyIDE Image Manager can read the long filename from APE for Windows (to set the image description) and when you write out an image to disk, you can have APE automatically create the .ATR for you.

APE rocks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 pm 

I posted over at Atariage about this. Below is the post I made as I am having trouble getting the Remote.com to work

I am using APE with SIO2PC cable which is working great but I want to be able to load .ATR disk images from my Atari 800XL. When I load APE for Windows and leave it with no disk images it boots on the Atari to a menu but I am not able to browse the directory tree. When use the (L)oad image it asks me if I want to use the find or spider feature. The find feature searches for anything I put in. The Spider feature does nothing when I type anything in. If I use the Mirror feature on APE for Windows and leave it blank on the windows end it works just fine on the Atari side for letting me browse to my directory with raw Binary files and load them.

I did see a program on the APE Warp disk image that comes with APE called Remote.com and when I run that on the Atari end I can browse he directory tree and it lists the disk images but when I try to load them nothing happens. (it assigns a letter number to the disk images and when that is pressed nothing happens).

Hope all this makes sense. I really want to be able to use my Atari without having to interact with my Windows System after APE for Windows is loaded.

All the links to documentation on the Atarimax web site give a 404 page not found error. I purchased the cable from there and downloaded APE but there was no documentation in the download archive.

BTW I did buy my SIO2PC interface from Atarimax so I am not trying to get something for nothing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:16 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The remote.com and Ape Loader are two different programs.

When you boot the PC Mirror in drive #1, you get the Ape Loader program. This will let you browse your hard drive and load Atari EXE/COM/XEX files, but it does not support loading ATR images.

The remote.com program is much older and it does not have a remote directory browser for selecting images. The [F]ind method will search the drives configured in the APE path configuration dialog for the image name specified, for example MULE.ATR.

You can find the remote.com search configuration options in the APE path configuration dialog.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 pm 

classics wrote:
The remote.com and Ape Loader are two different programs.

When you boot the PC Mirror in drive #1, you get the Ape Loader program. This will let you browse your hard drive and load Atari EXE/COM/XEX files, but it does not support loading ATR images.

The remote.com program is much older and it does not have a remote directory browser for selecting images. The [F]ind method will search the drives configured in the APE path configuration dialog for the image name specified, for example MULE.ATR.

You can find the remote.com search configuration options in the APE path configuration dialog.

Steve

Thank you. Maybe my best bet for using .ATR images on the Atari end without using my PC is to purchase one of the cartridges on your site.

Thanks again for the great support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:49 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

You could also put the remote.com program on a flash cartridge, which may or may not help meet the need.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]