It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New install, XEGS. Where is Self Test and Missile Command?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm 

Hi!

Got the Atari 8bit bug, and setup an Atari XEGS and MyIDE 4.3i for it, and I can't find Self Test or Missile Command.

I thought these ROMS were included in the Flash, but have no idea how to call them. Install Docs here even suggest to use them as a test. I have tried option, but only get basic.

some notes:
-All my CF cards do not work (Lexar 64mb 4x, Kingston 256mb, Verbatim 1gb, and sandisk 4gb 30MB/s) and throws FDISK with errors (something 131). I have tried pin 20 power, and a separate powersupply, same results.
-I suspect it's a PHI timing issue, and will be trying out Mathy PHI mod (I'm a solder monkey ;) or CPU
-Using a 20GB 2.5" so time being untill a Transcend 4gb vertical IDE comes in.
-Performed XEGS S-Video Mod
-Using a power supply from an Old D-Link Router (and it's power connector) 5v 2.5A, so I don't think it's an Amperage issue ;) however, it is a switching type psu (which most computers use) and not sure if I should keep using it or find another PSU.
-Some pictures of my Atari XEGS Here on my Homeserver.

Histroy:
My Dad bought an Atari 800XL (He modded it with an XL-erator?) tape drive, 2x dd fdd's, and a pile of joysticks and games :D but he sold it D:
so, I bought an Atari 130XE and had some fun with it, untill I sold it (was using the ST's at the time)
now, I have a Son, and thought what better way to teach him the inners on a computer, but to use an old and simple device like an Atari 8-bit. So, bought an XEGS from B&C Computer Visions and will probably buy more stuff from him like memory upgrade and peripherals.

ok, long post... ;) Having fun, but Docs are a little sparse, and am following Paranoid's Quick start guide for Newbs (Me ;) Thank you for any respone(s)

Post subject: Re: New install, XEGS. Where is Self Test and Missile Comman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:07 am 

Did you make your own ROM? There is a MyIDE Flash Tool posted here on the Forums for adding a compatable game to your ROM. I prefer the RiverRaid game to Missle Command so I built my own Rom for flashing my XEGS. And I use the Select key for booting the game. Self Test is replaced with Fdisk in the MyIDE Xegs Rom.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=358

This page has the download for the MyIDE Flash Tool.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 am 

Hi Zark,

Missile command is replaced by assembler editor, but not user accessable.
(You need to set the correct bit port B, fool the OS not to coldstart. But every reset will default port B to $FF or FD)
Self test is replaced by Fdisk, you found that yourself :-)

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 pm 

Roye : No Flashing of ROMS (yet), just making sure my install is ok, which it seems to be.
mr-Atari : so, I'm guessing it's ok to replace assembly editor with something else, like Self Test? lol

Still learning stuff, and found a bunch of docs for the Cartridge version! http://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/ near the bottom above the install guides. I didn't even bother looking at these as they are labeled "MyIDE Cartridge Documentation" ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:59 am 

You can replace the 8k assembly rom by any standaard 8k atari cartridge.
But be sure the code itself will not temper with PIA-portB (like starraiders),
preventing it from deselecting the rom-area. Or use a patched/hacked version.

Unfortunately Selftest is not one of them ;-) It runs from a different memory-area.

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 am 

Still Awesome! Thank you :D

now what rom... hmm, how does one load Sparta Dos? Turbo-Basic? I guess Google is very helpful ;)

For other people stumbling back into Vintage Atari, I found this The Atari 8-bit New User, Emulator Help FAQ to be very helpful! was struggling with saving BASIC programs... tip: SAVE "D1:STUFF:EH.BAS" or LOAD "D2:HUH:WHUT.BAS"

Also, found these old magazines!; even my 7 year old is asking to type a BASIC program in from them; what a great way to teach Computers, by using a simple Atari 8-bit! :D

Next once the Trancend 4GB TS4GDOM40V-S and case buttoned up, I gotta get one of those them AtariMax SIO2USB and use APE to copy files to IDE... maybe mounted inside the case, showing only the USB? hmmm...

Thank you for the great help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]