It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Utility disk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:37 pm 

Is there a version of this disk&programs for Spartados? That's what I use and prefer for everthing dos related, and I was also planning on putting the ATOS system on my HD, the ENTIRE reason why I got the Myide cartridge in the first place, and it uses ONLY Spartados! If only the Mydos version exists, this is EXTREMELY upsetting to me since I will not be able to use my Myide and HD the way I specifically intended! If this is the case it SHOULD have been noted somewhere that was obvious in the description of the Myide cartridge at ATARIMAX.com! I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, and just kept using A.P.E/SIO2PC! :( PLEASE, PLEASE tell me I can use my HD with SpartaDos!!! :shock: If I initialize my HD with this FDISK program under MyDos, can I still write SpartaDos to the HD instead of MyDOS in the setting the partions/making the HD bootable section of the instructions? Is there a way to have different partions with different DOS's? That way I can have a MyDos partion and a SpartDos partition to choose to boot from at startup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:48 pm 

You can use SpartaDos 3.3a modified version with MyIDE - Thats what I have.

Some folks have gotten ATOS to work but I think there has been some issues (with ATOS itself)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:34 pm 

goochman wrote:
You can use SpartaDos 3.3a modified version with MyIDE - Thats what I have.

Some folks have gotten ATOS to work but I think there has been some issues (with ATOS itself)

Very good, that's the version I use with ATOS already! So, when I'm initializing the drive, can I format and partition with Mydos and then when it comes time to write DOS to the partition I just copy SD 3.3a instead of MyDos, or is it not that easy? Or maybe I just replace Mydos on the utility disk with SpartaDos 3.3a and ignore the "this program only works with Mydos" part when running FDISK.BAS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:50 am 

Unfortunately, SpartaDOS v3.3 only works with the OS in ROM. The flashcart OS will not work with SpartaDOS.

I've yet to do any more testing with the ROM OS and SpartaDOS, so I don't know the current state of MyIDE/SpartaDOS/ATOS, but I am curious myself since I had a good ATOS setup with MyIDE OS v3.1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 am 

I have read you have the 32-in-1, so you can use the MyIDE-3.1E OS.
To disable 3.1F (or higher) from taking over, you need to flash the cartridge without the -bootrom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm 

mr-atari wrote:
To disable 3.1F (or higher) from taking over, you need to flash the cartridge without the -bootrom.

Thanks. Seems redundant anyway having the 32-in-1 and then the OS on flashrom anyway. Since I intend to use the HD most of the time, if I didn't do that it would sort of make the 32-in-1 a waste. But the main reason for the 32-in-1 was Warp+ OS, so this is all a bit of a cludge it seems at this point. I find it strange that AtariMax hasn't integrated Warp+ OS and Myide OS in some way since they sell both and many people want to use both. So eventually, I hope a flash image becomes available that will incorporate both. But then, I'm still new to all of this, and I'm still not sure how some people seem to be using both in some way from reading these forums. Baby steps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:58 am 

The OS from flash (x.xF) is RAM based and can be whiped out by running software, like sparta-dos.
If you have the 32-in-1, use it. These are all ROM based OSsen and can not be disabled or whiped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm 

mr-atari wrote:

Ok, so you are saying that with the MyIDE+flash cartridge I can flash it without the -bootrom, so what should I flash it with, Any suggestions? Then, I do what? I use select button and select one of the MyIDE OS's in the 32-in-1 rom, then reboot holding option and the internal OS will boot the HD through the MyIDE cartridge? Do I still initialize, partition and format the drive with MyDOS as usual, or do I somehow use SpartaDOS 3.3a in it's place, ignoring the warnings that the program only works with MyDOS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:56 pm 

I'm not well known with sparta-DOS, I'm sorry. Marius has uploaded
a spartDOS version with tools to format a 16Mb partition. You find it
my page at 3rd party-software.

About flashing the cartridge, that is a good point. You need to pack at least
a program that deactivate the cartridge and does a coldstart.
I'll found some time and wrote a small exe that does this with flasher.
Some items do not start, why: don't know. but you need MYIDEDEL.
The rest, you can fill with 128k of games/utilities (EXE) you want to load very fast.
If you want I can make a flasher for you. Just upload the EXE-files here as ZIP.
(because I do not know what happens when you hold OPTION to bypass the cartridge)
(Now you can select MYIDEDEL and hold OPTION to deselect basic)

You need fdisk to partition as usual.
Also download the manuals from site for the 3.1 version.
You find at drivers & manuals.

Cheers
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]