It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Has anyone else had this problem?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 am 

I purchased the MyIDE+Flash cart about a week and a half ago. It arrived just fine. When I plugged it into my 800xl and turned it on, nothing happened. So I figured, ok... bad flash, so I figured out how to reflash it by plugging the cartridge in after i turn on the computer. Ok the flash was successful, so I wired up power for a cf adapter. However, to my dismay, anytime the cart is plugged in before i turn on my computer, when i flip the switch nothing happens. I have to remove the cart, turn on the computer, insert the cart, and then hit reset for it to work. I have had some limited success with the cf card and also with programming the cart using maxflash. But having to insert the cart while the computer is on really REALLY creeps me out especially after knowing that it has been flashed successfully. Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is the cart defective? Am I going crazy? because I haven't seen anyone write about anything like this anywhere, so I figure I'm the only one with this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 am 

This is not normal. You should boot with the cartridge in place.
Get the menu at bootup and select how to continue.

I think there is someting wrong with the cartridge. I guess Steve will contact you shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:32 pm 

Hi again, thanks for the heads-up. I would love the idea of replacing the cart, but unfortunately, in my excitement in receiving it, i already modded it for CF power. So I wouldn't think that it would be replaceable, so I would probably have to either purchase another, or perhaps I could send it back for a good ol' beating into submission. :) Thanks for letting me know on this, I thought I was going crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If it is defective I will replace it regardless.

Please e-mail me at classics@atarimax.com to arrange an exchange. :D

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:29 am 

Hey, thanks a lot, much appreciated. I will email you right now. Thanks again! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 am 

Hi, I just sent the cart out this morning. Should be there by thursday or friday. Thanks again for your help! :-D

Post subject: ummm...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am 

Hi I just got the replacement cart today... tried it out and got the same exact result as before. If I plug the cartridge into the computer before turning it on, nothing will happen when I power on the computer. This goes for BOTH my 800xl and my 130xe. If I do the "unsafe" thing and plug in the cart after the computer is on and then hit reset, it works. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:21 am 

What OS do you have in your machines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 pm 

It's whatever OS came stock with them. I haven't made any modifications if that's what you mean. Am I supposed to mod my machines for this to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:51 am 

No, they suppose to plug-and-play on any stock Atari.

Very strange.

Please send a email to Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:43 am 

Also interesting to note is that the little red LED light on the front of the cart doesn't come on even when it is connected the unsafe way and working. The CF adapter lights come on fine though. Also, there have been some crazy lock up errors lately. I've gone through and done a ROM/RAM test and everything checks out fine. Also, whenever I don't use the cartridge I have no problems. Perhaps it is possessed by an evil spirit. Guess I'll have to call my priest friend. I can't imagine that there would be a bunch of defective carts that all have the same behavior problems. However, I did manage to flash the cart with MyPicoDos, which I like a lot, but I have been having a ton of problems getting some .com's to run. But at any rate, does anyone have any suggestions for possible alternatives to this? Is the internal MyIDE a better solution, and can I use MyPicoDos with it?

Last edited by wanner251 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:51 am 

Oh, also, one other thing that I've been noticing, is that when the cartridge is plugged in, and I power on the computer, the little power light on the computer comes on and is very dim. Still nothing happens. However, when the cartridge is removed and I power on the computer, the light is much much brighter. Could my problem be power/voltage related? I am using the stock 5v 1.5A power supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The low power light is not a good sign, could be poor voltage from the power supply. Are you using the same power supply with both the 800XL and 130XE?

The light on the cartridge is actually driven by the IDE device, so if your device has its own light and does not drive the cartridge light, it will not come on. My IDE->CF adapter does the same thing, but it has 3 LED's of its own to admire. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:40 am 

I just switched out power supplies... and it works... wow what a headache and I feel like a moron.. took me long enough to notice. OK thanks everyone! Now to get these darn files working with pico

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]