It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do real SIO floppy drives work with MyIDE?
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:32 am 

Couldn't find any info on this, so thought I'd check. In testing several configurations with Flash OS 3.5F, it appears that when MyIDE is present, regular floppies don't work. All I get is error 160. I currently have only one HD partition of 60000 DD sectors. If I bypass the MyIDE, then my floppies work fine. Is this correct, or am I missing something in the setup (such as telling MyIDE that Dx: is a floppy?) The puzzling thing is that APE virtual drives work fine, and I thought that APE drives and regular floppies responded the same. (?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:18 am 

This is strange. I didn't have troubles accessing my real floppy drives so far. If you have a SIO2PC cable connected, try unconnecting it so that only the floppy drive is connected to your Atari.

Concerning error 160: I ran into a bug/feature of the 4.3I OS:

If I have more than 3 partitions on my harddrive, MyIDE is only able to access the first 3. So far, so good (this is mentioned in the docs). But I'm unable to access D4: in case there's a D4: partition on my MyIDE drive. MyDOS just gives an "error 160" and doesn't try to access the SIO bus. D5: etc works fine.

If I manually disable D4: by clearing the corresponding drive-bit everything works fine. fdisk even displays the partition (I didn't delete it, I just set the drive-bits to $07), but if I do some changes to that partition (eg changing the drive number or swapping it with another partition) the corresponding drive-bit is reset to 1.

Sijmen, could you add a feature to fdisk that allows us to manually clear and set the drive bits?

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:55 am 

This correct. If you have (example) a MyIDE-partition D1: it has higher priority then the D1: connected to SIO.
If you want to access the D1: SIO-device (real or virtual), you need to press SHIFT+CONTROL+D to Disable MyIDE.
When done, SHIFT+CONTROL+E to Enable again.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:31 am 

mr-atari wrote:
This correct. If you have (example) a MyIDE-partition D1: it has higher priority then the D1: connected to SIO.
If you want to access the D1: SIO-device (real or virtual), you need to press SHIFT+CONTROL+D to Disable MyIDE.
When done, SHIFT+CONTROL+E to Enable again.

That's clear. But I meant another thing:

I've got a MyIDE drive with 4 partitions (D1: to D4:). The 4.3I OS will let me access only partitions D1: to D3:. D5: to D8: are routed to the SIO devices, and D4: is completely dead (it always gives an Error 160 in MyDOS and the SIO bus isn't accessed at all). So it seems that this Error 160 comes from the MyIDE OS.

IMO it would be better to route D4: (and any other partitions that the MyIDE OS won't habdle) to the SIO bus.

A feature in fdisk to enable/disable partitions (with the drive bits) would be very fine, anyways :-)

so long,

Hias

Post subject: Found the Issue
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:28 am 

Yes, real floppies do work fine. I had an intermittently bad XF551 in the SIO chain. It's on-again -- off-again errors certainly were weird, but after I removed it from the chain, everything else works fine. Probably cracked traces at the SIO jacks. -Larry

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]