It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Issues with 4.3I and SIO?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:49 am 

For some time now, I've been having problems using serial APE with MyIDE 4.3I. I only have 4.3I in one computer -- a 130XE with 320K. The MyIDE interface is a 130XE-type that uses the cpu socket.

The issue is stalling on APE and real drives. It's extreme -- the SIO just locks up, but MyIDE continues to work fine. Usually, this only happens with the serial interface, so I originally thought that this was an APE software issue with 3.0.2. But now I find with further testing that it also occurs randomly with the USB APE interface, also.

When using the Black Box with this same computer, everything works perfectly. When using the MyIDE flashcart, everything works fine. I'm going to replace the 4.3I eprom, but since everything *usually* works with the USB interface, I really think the eprom is OK. My current *guess* is that there is an issue with one of the MyIDE interface chips. (?)

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

Thanks,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:06 am 

Is this the original 4.3I-OS or the patched highspeed version?

The original version has sofar I know, no SIO-problems.
I run the OS for a year now, in a setup with APE.
Also the 3.5F OS has no SIO problems (same routines).

But I remember a tread (or email communication) about such a issue.

I have to dig this up (I'm at work now) and report later.

The IDE-chipset is not on the SIO-bus nor uses the IRQ system.
So the SIO-routines in the OS are not interfered by a 'non-working' MyIDE-system.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:00 am 

mr-atari wrote:

So the SIO-routines in the OS are not interfered by a 'non-working' MyIDE-system.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Hi Sijmen-
Thanks for the info. This is the patched high-speed eprom. Had not thought of that as a possibility since it works so well with 3.5F and 5.0F, but could be the issue.
-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 am 

Okay, well I can't stand for the patched 4.3I since it's not mine.
Now you mention it, that could be the topic I talked about.
The patch uses some STACK-area locations and if this overflows
it gives strange SIO behaviour.

The 3.5F and 5.0F are stand-alone OS and while the patched 4.3I is
inside, the routines will not be addressed since the F will superseed them.
beside this, the highspeed 'F' patch stores it table in OS-RAM and is safer.

I'm working to include the highspeed, but it's not easy (not my source)
to understand and to implement them safe in the OS without effecting
registers and loosing compatibility....
For now it's on a side-track. I need to rewrite the compleet SIO-routines
to save bytes and squeese it in.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:02 am 

mr-atari wrote:

Cheers,
Sijmen.

I got out my burner and then ran some tests. I verified the 4.3I that I had been using to the rom file, and it was fine. But went ahead and burned 4 new eproms: 4.3I & IP; 4.3E and EP. They all work great! Bad eprom? I dunno...

For now, I'm leaving both 4.3EP and 4.3IP in the XE for maximum compatibility. I think that for me, Steve's new internal flash interface will be very useful. However, it will create a need for an Atari program to conveniently flash new OS into the interface. Hope that is part of the agenda.

Thanks again for your and Steve's continued support of these devices!

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm 

I would like to test the highspeed sio patch too.

I have the ABBUC issue on which the patches are stored, but I was wondering if there are any updates?

Thanks
Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:43 pm 

Sysop*Marius wrote:
I have the ABBUC issue on which the patches are stored, but I was wondering if there are any updates?

Not yet :-)

The only issue I found so far was that TurboDos XL/XE didn't work with the patch (TurboDos doesn't work with the old OS, too, it really requires an 100% XL/XE compatible OS).

When I got some more time, I'll dig into this issue (I'll have to move a few RAM locations and hope this won't break further things, so this needs quite some time to test).

BTW: The ABBUC version is identical to the latest version available from this forum, except that the ABBUC version contained a german manual.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:11 pm 

Hias,

What's the latest version of your hi-speed SIO patch for myide? The version I was running always dies on reading from a DD disk, even in Mr.Atari's image routine. I think I have an old version though...

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:13 am 

Hi Shawn!
Shawn Jefferson wrote:
What's the latest version of your hi-speed SIO patch for myide? The version I was running always dies on reading from a DD disk, even in Mr.Atari's image routine. I think I have an old version though...

The latest version is 060623. http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/hipatch-060623.zip

Please test it and drop me a line if it doesn't work right.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:57 am 

Today I tried the hi-sio patch for the MyIDE OS.

I tried this in Rom 3.1 (I burned the patched Eprom) and my first idea whas: great this works.

But...

It won't work on SpartaDos 3.3a (the only MyIDE compatible spartados, yes the dos I'm using)

From SIO it does not boot ( only 3 or 4 sectors), and from MyIDE it DOES boot, but then I can't acces any sio drive. (that makes the system hang stuck)

BeWeDOS works fine!

I think this is very strange, because on the Abbuc Magazine I read that if you want to use the Hi-Patch with spartaDos, you have to burn the rom (The reason is very understandable for me, so that is not the point). I concluded: this should work with SpartaDos,

but here on my side it won't.

By the way: it DOES work with BeWe DOS. But that did also work without the hardware version of this patched os (software version of the patch).

@Hias: did you actually test this with SpartaDOS? If yes: what might be the problem? If not: could you test it for me?

thanks, the idea of this hi speed sio patch seems to be very cool! And ofcourse i'm interested in your updates!

Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:17 pm 

Hi Marius!

Sysop*Marius wrote:
From SIO it does not boot ( only 3 or 4 sectors), and from MyIDE it DOES boot, but then I can't acces any sio drive. (that makes the system hang stuck)

Strange, but you are right. I just ran a quick test (4.3i + hipatch in ROM), SpartaDos 3.3a loaded a few sectors (1-3 and 32-42) from SIO and then the computer crashed.

Quote:
@Hias: did you actually test this with SpartaDOS? If yes: what might be the problem?

I thought I had tested the patch with SpartaDos (but it's quite a time since then :-). ATM I don't know what's going wrong, but maybe SpartaDos and my patch use identical RAM locations (similar to the problem with TurboDos).

I'll have a look at it, but it could take a bit.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:35 pm 

I have a similar problem by the way with Sp+OS.

This OS doesn't work with SpartaDos 3.3.a either!

It does work with 3.3b, but that is not so strange, because after the first sectors, sparta 3.3b (and all other versions) do take over SIO routines, so the OS is not involved anymore for SIO.

I hope you can get this fixed with 3.3a...

Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:03 am 

Hi!

I rewrote large parts of my highspeed SIO patch (a thing I wanted to do for a long time, it was based on some old code I got from ABBUC), and now it seems to work both with TurboDos and SpartaDos 3.3a!

Here's the link to the new patch: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/hipatch-070917.zip

Please test this new patch and drop me a line if it works or not. So far I ran only a few tests (with AtariSIO, a Speedy 1050 and with SIO2SD), but since a lot of this code is new it's possible that some errors sneaked in.

BTW: If you run into problems, load the "diag.atr" into D1: and put a single density disk (image) into D2:. After loading the diag.atr waits for a keypress and then reads sectors 4-720 in a loop. If something goes wrong it outputs a lot of numbers, please write these numbers down and send them to me.

BTW2: It would be nice if someone could test the new patch with APE. Currently I don't have a Windows computer ready to run the tests by myself.

BTW3: With this new patch SIO2SD works quite stable with a speed byte of 4, 3 is failing most of the time. It would be interesting to know how it performs with the new SIO2PC USB Interface and APE.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:07 am 

Hmm...

In the zip I find HPATCH.ATR...

But when I start these files I still get the 1.0 version, and the (c) 2006 message.

Since burning/erasing roms is not my greatest hobby, I'll wait for a confirmation that it is the latest version :))

Thanks
Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 am 

Hi Marius!

Sysop*Marius wrote:
But when I start these files I still get the 1.0 version, and the (c) 2006 message.

Since burning/erasing roms is not my greatest hobby, I'll wait for a confirmation that it is the latest version :))

They are the latest version. I just haven't updated the dates, version numbers and docs.

BTW: You can use the "patchrom.exe" to patch a ROM-Image directly on your PC. No need to go through all the hipatch.com -> dumpos.com -> transfer to PC hoops.

so long,

Hias

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next