It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quick Question: Are Images in the Image Space Read-Only?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 pm 

First of all, I wish to thank "Mr. Atari" and Steve Tucker for their outstanding MyIDE product; I'm using the internal version and I've found that it works nicely.

My question has to do with writing back to disk images within the image space (forgive me if this is answered elsewhere). For example, if I copy an image containing DOS into the image space and boot from it, and I then attempt to make a change to the disk image from within DOS (deleting files within the image, reformatting the image, etc), I get an "Error 139" and the changes do not take effect. I also tried creating a saves image for Lode Runner within the image space, but I can't save levels from within Lode Runner either. Is this behavior by design, or is it a problem with my hardware or software?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm currently using Shawn Jefferson's MyIDECFG and MyIDEMAN tools to configure MyIDE and to manage my disk images. I've disabled all the "Read-Only" options that I've found in these tools, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm 

What version of the MyIDE OS are you using? What version of the MyIDE Image Manager are you using?

When you are in the program can you press CTRL-SHIFT-U to toggle the write-protect and then try to save and see if that works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 am 

Thanks Shawn,

CTRL-SHIFT-U worked to enable writes into the image space. I must have missed this particular hot-key in the documentation I read, or else I didn't pay attention to it since I thought I had already disabled write-protection using MyIDECFG. I just came across this earlier thread, and I gather that the write-protection option applies only to the logical partitions, while the image space is always protected at the start of every session and must be unprotected manually.

In any case, I'm following your advice from the other thread, and have now begun creating blank images in the image space adjacent to those programs/games which require saves disks so I can swap them in and out easily using CTRL-SHIFT-1 and CTRL-SHIFT-2.

Thanks for your help, and also for your excellent MyIDE tools!

(BTW, I'm using the MyIDE OS version 4.3I and the MyIDE Manager 4.1.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 pm 

There is an option in the MyIDE Image Manager that should control whether the image is write protected or not at boot time. MyIDE Config doesn't control much of the Image space settings really.

Is that not working correctly? It's been awhile since I've had my atari setup unfortunately after moving into the new house.

I'm happy to hear someone else is finding the software useful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:28 am 

hi all, from my sunny holiday-spot :-)

images are always write protected.

normal partitions can be set as read-only on boot.
default-value is read/write for all logical partitions.

cheers,
sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 pm 

Sijmen, was this changed in some recent version of the MyIDE OS? I remember being able to set the myide flags before jumping to the image routine. (??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 am 

no, there have been no changes.

check the manual, i'm not at home.

images are ALWAYS set as read-only and onscreen activity off.

cheers,
sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]