It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Patch for XEX games that fail with MyIDE ][ FAT32 loader
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:55 pm 

Hi all,

BEWARE:
Only use this when you know what you are doing or what this is! I'm not responsible for any caused issues.

Preface
When you are a user of MyIDE ][ and you use the FAT32 loader that came with the cart, you've probably noticed that although it runs a lot of titles, there are .XEX files that do not want to run with it. From most games (.XEX) there do exist several versions, so most of the time you'll find an alternative that runs.

But sometimes not... and that is a pity, since you want your MyIDE 2 cartridge to be as compatible as possible.

The first thing you should do is check whether you have the newest version of Steven Tuckers FAT32 loader (it is version v20130224).

When you have that version read on... if not, first update your MyIDE ][ cart. I did not test my patch with previous versions of the MyIDE ][ FAT32 loader.

What is this patch?
This patch is a custom loader-routine, that has to be added to every non-working XEX file.
The FAT32 tool made by Steven Tucker loads all data from your game into the SRAM of the MyIDE ][ cart, and when ALL data is in SRAM, the FAT32 loader starts to process the data, during that it copies all data into the right RAM area of your atari 8bit computer. Unfortunately there are some cases where this goes wrong, and you can't play your desired game.

This is where my routine might be handy!

You have to patch every non working XEX game with my patch (read on to find out how).
My patch has to be placed on TOP of the binary file (the XEX type game), so when the FAT32 loader loads the patched game, it will load and start the custom loader as the first thing.

As soon as the FAT32 loader has transferred ALL data to the SRAM, my custom loader-routine will start, and then for the rest of the loading process the FAT32 loader is bypassed.

The result is (hopefully) that the game that previously did not want to run, now runs!

How to patch your non working game!
Let me repeat: ONLY try this with XEX or COM files. It is not for BAS or ATR or R16 or ROM files (!)

There are several ways to do it.

1. Use a hex editor
2. Use a copy command in MSDOWS environment

It probably can be done in Linux/Mac OS X, but I did not investigate that.

1. The Hexeditor

First load the M2PATCH.OBJ, then load the XEX file that you want to patch.
Select ALL data from the M2PATCH.OBJ that is $150 bytes long
Copy this data
Then move to the screen with the XEX file you want to patch and PASTE all the data from the previous operation into this XEX file.
Make sure you have INSERT-data and not OVERWRITE-data (!)
Save your patched game. My advice: save it to a new filename, so you keep your original file.
Your patched game is the file you will use from now on on your MyIDE ][ CF card.

2. MSDOS prompt

Make sure you have the M2PATCH.OBJ and the XEX file you want to patch in the same directory.
then type this:

COPY /b M2PATCH.OBJ + GAMETOPATCH.XEX NEWFILENAME.XEX

Don't miss the PLUS (+)

This will glue the M2PATCH.OBJ to the game you want to patch. (Make sure you type THAT file first!)

Well that's it...

This is an ugly way of doing it, but I have not the skills at this moment to write a pretty patcher.
Best would be a patched FAT32 loader, so you don't have to patch all the non-working games.

But my philosophy: better something, than nothing.
If you need help, or if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Marius

p.s. for the people who do not read everything: yes, you have to patch ALL the non-working XEX games with this routine. The routine itself doesn't do a thing for you, you have to follow the instructions.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject: Re: Patch for XEX games that fail with MyIDE ][ FAT32 loader
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:15 am 

There is major update on this...

Check here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243322 ... ?p=3338368

And also following posts about it. I added a collection of 15 games that previously did not want to run on the FAT32 loader, but now do load.

Still supporting MyIDE 2 as you all can see...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 am 

For the people who came to AtariAge topic and did not find the files they were looking for:

In this topic here on AtariMax forum are the 15 patched games:
http://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/vie ... =17&t=1784

And here is instruction for patching games yourself:
In the zip file you'll find two files:

M2PATCHv3-withE.obj
M2PATCHv3-endblock.obj

1) take the original non working)game
2) place M2PATCHv3-withE.obj on top of the non working game (use : COPY /b M2PATCHv3-withE.obj + GAMETOPATCH.XEX TEMPFILENAME.XEX)
3) place M2PATCHv3-endblock.obj at the end of tempfilename.xex (use: COPY /b tempfilename.xex + M2PATCHv3-endblock.obj newfilename.xex)

You could also use a HEXEDITOR of course.

This loader works with the "E:" device opened. So TBXL files (like the one from Eric) should work with this patch.

Tempest Extreem Demo is buggy and does not accept "E:" to be opened.
So you could edit M2PATCHv3-withE.obj with a hexeditor.
Search for the string: 01E2
change this into: 00E2

Tempest Extreem Demo is also added, so you do not have to do this.

I'll patch the previous patched games again with this new patch. It's much better now. I'll also patch some games that did not want to be patched with the older versions.
Have fun!

This time you don't have to mess around with INIT and RUN addresses. It seems to be ALL supported now.

M.

p.s. feel free to ask help!

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:43 am 

Nice to have you here on atarimax Marius!

;-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:19 am 

I think I'm going to make a brief summary for Steven Tucker about the issues found in games that did not run (but do run with my patch).

Perhaps he finds time to make an update to his FAT32 loader. My patch proves that litteraly any XEX file can run from FAT32 loader.

I suspect there is a flaw in the RUN/INIT handling and some memory locations should be cleared before running a binary (especially ZP locations). Some games do set both $02e0/e1 and 02e2/e3 as one block in the binary, and IIRC this is not handled right with the FAT32 loader (but I'm not sure, since I made the patch routine a while ago and I did not investigate all the cases).

The FAT32 loader of the MyIDE 2 is one of the unique selling points. It handles many file types (including ROM, .R16, XEX and ATR (although limited)) and it is able to flash the MyIDE 2 cartridge.
So IMHO it deserves an update so it handles as many XEX files as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 am 

Sysop*Marius wrote:
I think I'm going to make a brief summary for Steven Tucker about the issues found in games that did not run (but do run with my patch). Perhaps he finds time to make an update to his FAT32 loader. My patch proves that litteraly any XEX file can run from FAT32 loader. So IMHO it deserves an update so it handles as many XEX files as possible.

Thanks. Let us know if you have any luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am 

Use the SIDE loader.
It's on the cartridge image you got from me.

Grtz,
Sijmen

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]