It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Problems flashing on 130XE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:28 pm 

I was having trouble getting the Flash Cart recognized and working. Half the time it would not recognize the cart, and when it did it would fail at erasing and at flashing it! I then turned off my 130XE and hooked up my 800XL and it worked perfect the first time!

I think this is due to the flakey Cart slot on the XE machines! Like the XEGS.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:32 pm 

I may have heard about flaky cart slots on XE machines before but I've never had a cart have a problem on my XEGS. What exactly are the symptoms? I'm stuck with only an XEGS right now so I might be looking for a 800XL soon (I gave my last two away to friends :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:39 am 

Well upon further testing on another 130XE I have, it works perfectly on that one! No flashes of any kind work on one of my 130XE's. Though on my other 130XE and 800XL they work great.

What it does is upon booting of the flash ATR it says Flash cart not found, restart program? I hit yes a few times and it will find it. Or I wiggle the cart and hit Yes and it finds it. And when it does find it and proceeds to erase cart, or program it I get errors. And to top it off on a good Flashed cart, it will not work at all on the said 130XE. Though other carts work fine on it!

Weird.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:22 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

TjLaZer wrote:
Well upon further testing on another 130XE I have, it works perfectly on that one! No flashes of any kind work on one of my 130XE's. Though on my other 130XE and 800XL they work great.

What it does is upon booting of the flash ATR it says Flash cart not found, restart program? I hit yes a few times and it will find it. Or I wiggle the cart and hit Yes and it finds it. And when it does find it and proceeds to erase cart, or program it I get errors. And to top it off on a good Flashed cart, it will not work at all on the said 130XE. Though other carts work fine on it!

Weird.

Tim

Sounds like a problem with the clock line on the cartridge slot, maybe dirty since wiggling helps. Most carts make no use of it at all but the flash carts depend on it.

At the moment I'm waiting on a cart from oesii that has problems on one XEGS, it might shed some light on the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:43 am 

classics wrote:

Sounds like a problem with the clock line on the cartridge slot, maybe dirty since wiggling helps. Most carts make no use of it at all but the flash carts depend on it.

At the moment I'm waiting on a cart from oesii that has problems on one XEGS, it might shed some light on the problem.

Sent it out Weds. by 1st class USPS, so you should have it today or tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:54 am 

classics wrote:
TjLaZer wrote:

Weird.

Tim

I am unable to play a flashed cart at all on this 130XE also. Wont flash at all and will not detect it very well when trying to flash to it. Now that I think about it I don't think the wiggling does anything at all. Other carts work fine, so it must be the clock line. Where is this line and what does it do? Is this a fault on this 130XE or do *some* machines not have this line working properly? Does the line need to be working to *play* the cart???

Thanks!
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:48 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

TjLaZer wrote:
classics wrote:
TjLaZer wrote:

Weird.

Tim

I am unable to play a flashed cart at all on this 130XE also. Wont flash at all and will not detect it very well when trying to flash to it. Now that I think about it I don't think the wiggling does anything at all. Other carts work fine, so it must be the clock line. Where is this line and what does it do? Is this a fault on this 130XE or do *some* machines not have this line working properly? Does the line need to be working to *play* the cart???

Thanks!
Tim

If it wasnt working then the cartridge bank switching wouldnt work properly, even for playing.

If there is a bug somewhere in the software or hardware hopefully checking out oesii's cart will shed some light on it.

If not... send me your 130XE, i'll beat it into submission. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:18 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

oesii wrote:
classics wrote:
Sent it out Weds. by 1st class USPS, so you should have it today or tomorrow.

Got your old cartridge back yesterday, new one will go out tomorrow by Priority Mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:57 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

BTW this did turn out to be a bad cartridge. If you still have trouble programming your on a XEGS your welcome to send it back for a free exchange.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:03 am 

I'm having the same trouble with flashing on both my 130XE's. My 8mb cart arrived last week (no.2 of 100) yay!

Half the time the cart is detected as a 4Mb cart, hit Y to restart program and it comes up as a 8mb cart, so go to program, and sometimes it successfully erases the carts, then heads on to program it, but never is succesful at verifying the written data of the first block...

I've then tried this same cart on my 800Xl, and erased/programed first time. Using this cart on that 800XL is great, but try it on the 130XE's and I get the EXE menu coming up, but as soon as you select a game it crashes.

Any ideas?

I'll try cleaning the cart slots on these 130XE's I think, but just seems a bit wierd. Is there a compatibility issue with PAL 130XE's?? Anyone successfully used a 8mb cart on a PAL 130XE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:17 am 

hmmm, on closer look at the cartridge slots on these 130xe's they seem a bit 'crap' :-) Most probably that, might try to fix one up enough to load something at least. AS I'd prefer to use a 130Xe than my 800XL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:20 am 

Okay, I've removed the original cartridge slot from my 130xe, and soldered on a new one (using a good XL part, yep had to modify the case a bit) :-) and unfortunately I get the same issues, tested the new slot with various XEGS carts and normal carts, all okay. Just cant flash the cart or use a flashed cart. :-( Games on a flashed cart just crash after selecting them.

Any other ideas, prefer not to have to send back as I'm in NZ, but will if you think it's faulty... Works sweet on the 800xl though is what puzzles me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:58 am 

Holmes wrote:
hmmm, on closer look at the cartridge slots on these 130xe's they seem a bit 'crap' :-) Most probably that, might try to fix one up enough to load something at least. AS I'd prefer to use a 130Xe than my 800XL

Hmm I use the 130XE and works great. The 130XE or let's say all the XE machines are a little critical with the cartridge bus. Most problems with expansions could be solved by using a good power supply.

I use a pc power supply since then all my XE machines are more stable then any other 8-bit machine. Even with a Black-box attached and lot's of internal upgrades...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:02 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Holmes wrote:
Okay, I've removed the original cartridge slot from my 130xe, and soldered on a new one (using a good XL part, yep had to modify the case a bit) :-) and unfortunately I get the same issues, tested the new slot with various XEGS carts and normal carts, all okay. Just cant flash the cart or use a flashed cart. :-( Games on a flashed cart just crash after selecting them.

Any other ideas, prefer not to have to send back as I'm in NZ, but will if you think it's faulty... Works sweet on the 800xl though is what puzzles me.

I will be happy to exchange the cartridge for you, but I understand there is a lot of postage involved with sending it back from NZ.

If you can get your cartridge open, e-mail me @ classics@atarimax.com with the numbers off the chips. Its possible I could just send you a faster set of chips and see if that helps.

Even though all the boards/cases/labels are made by a professional house, I still assemble them myself, so there is always the possibility some carts will have glitches and need to be exchanged. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:17 pm 

Just tried it on my XEGS, works fine on there too. wierd. I tried opening it but seems I'm bound to break the case you've put them together nicely! :-)

I'll keep this one I think, and use it on the xegs (sans k/b), but I'd like to grab another one off you and will email you with a request for maybe those faster chips you mention to be included.

This cart is a great idea by the way! I love it!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next