It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trouble printing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:04 pm 

I am having trouble printing when APE is running. I have tried both the serial and USB versions of the SIO2PC adapter, and 2 versions of APE software. I cannot print to a real printer connected via SIO cable when APE is running. I either get corrupted characters or a device timeout error. I have disabled P: emulation within APE. The printer will work correctly if I put APE in sleep mode. I have tried 3 different print interfaces, all with the same result.

Is anybody using a real rinter with their Atari with APE running?

Stephen Anderson

Post subject: Re: Trouble printing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 pm 

Stephen wrote:
I am having trouble printing when APE is running. I have tried both the serial and USB versions of the SIO2PC adapter, and 2 versions of APE software. I cannot print to a real printer connected via SIO cable when APE is running. I either get corrupted characters or a device timeout error. I have disabled P: emulation within APE. The printer will work correctly if I put APE in sleep mode. I have tried 3 different print interfaces, all with the same result.

Is anybody using a real rinter with their Atari with APE running?

Stephen Anderson

Yes, I have had that issue for as long as I can remember. But I use a Quintopus (switched), so my work-around is to switch APE off and switch the Printer on (and vice-versa when using APE).
-Larry

Post subject: Re: Trouble printing - a new/old issue!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:30 am 

I am having a new printing issue since I installed the 3.0.4 upgrades. This is very much like the printing issue that APE initially had with Win XP. As then, the disk transfers are error-free. But I keep getting error messages 138 (timeout) and 140 (Framing) when printing. When I use the APE Print Monitor, I only see partial lines printed. Sometimes the MX-80 virtual printer will print properly, but mostly it terminates early with the errors 138/140.

I have an Intel dual core processor with an AS Rock MB, using an on-board serial port at $3F8.

Has anyone else using a dual core processor had printing issues? Anyone who has done the 3.0.4 upgrade having printing issues?

The partial printed lines might relate to a dual core issue?

Thanks,
Larry

Last edited by thewhiz on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 pm 

thewhiz wrote:
Yes, I have had that issue for as long as I can remember. But I use a Quintopus (switched), so my work-around is to switch APE off and switch the Printer on (and vice-versa when using APE).
-Larry

Yeah - it works for me when I switch APE off, but that's really makes my printer useless, since the reason I wanted it was to print stuff from BBSes. If I put APE to sleep, it will drop my connection.

Stephen Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 am 

Stephen wrote:
thewhiz wrote:
-Larry

Yeah - it works for me when I switch APE off, but that's really makes my printer useless, since the reason I wanted it was to print stuff from BBSes. If I put APE to sleep, it will drop my connection.

Stephen Anderson

It might be worth mentioning that the Black Box allows printing to multiple printers: P1: P2: etc. I don't know if this would be a lot of trouble to implement in APE or not, but conceivably would fix the issue. In my scheme, a misc. APE setting would be whether or not to make APE the default printer or respond to P1: or such.

-Larry

Post subject: Re: Trouble printing - a new/old issue!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 pm 

thewhiz wrote:
I am having a new printing issue since I installed the 3.0.4 upgrades. This is very much like the printing issue that APE initially had with Win XP. As then, the disk transfers are error-free. But I keep getting error messages 138 (timeout) and 140 (Framing) when printing. When I use the APE Print Monitor, I only see partial lines printed. Sometimes the MX-80 virtual printer will print properly, but mostly it terminates early with the errors 138/140.

I have an Intel dual core processor with an AS Rock MB, using an on-board serial port at $3F8.

Has anyone else using a dual core processor had printing issues? Anyone who has done the 3.0.4 upgrade having printing issues?

The partial printed lines might relate to a dual core issue?

Thanks,
Larry

I have found my problem, but it is NOT an APE 3.0.4 (or 3.0.2) with a dual-core cpu issue. It is related to the other APE printing issue mentioned here -- if you have an SIO printer interface/printer attached with APE, they interfere with each other. I've know this for a long time, but it "bit me" again. It bit me because I changed my SIO cables around when I hooked up my SIO2SD interface, and attached the SIO2SD to the "switched" port on my Quintopus and attached the SIO printer interface to a regular (un-switched) port. Even though the APE printing feature was set to "Disabled," when I tried to print a BASIC listing on my Epson today, I started getting partial lines, and it aborted part way through the listing. "Hey, this looks familiar..." So I checked the SIO cables and switched them back so that I could switch both APE and the Epson OFF/ON as needed. Now, both devices print properly.

However, if you don't have a Quintopus with switches, LOL. But perhaps not that many folks have real printers attached with SIO interfaces in addition to APE. (?) It is something that would be useful to fix in APE, I think. A8maestro has a "Spider" listed at his web site, and it looks very similar to a Quintopus. Perhaps he could add switches if needed?

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/proda8/a8-new1.htm

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the info Wiz. I am using one of Rick's Spiders - this is how I found the issue. What does your Quintopus actually switch?

Stephen Anderson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:54 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

This should be fixed, a new APE and adapter firmware is available.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 am 

Stephen wrote:
Thanks for the info Wiz. I am using one of Rick's Spiders - this is how I found the issue. What does your Quintopus actually switch?

Stephen Anderson

Hi Stephen-

As Steve indicates, the new version of APE disables its printing function so there is no interference with a (physical) printer. If you are registered, you should contact Steve. If not you'll probably have to wait until the next "Trial" version is released.

Yes, I have the "Deluxe" Quintopus. It has 6 SIO jacks, and 2 of those are switched. Very handy. It switches the port on/off completely, although I don't know what line(s) are switched. I'll check and let you know assuming I can figure it out. There are IC's on a Quintopus, so that might make it difficult to figure out exactly how the switching works. Rick mentioned to me that it would probably be easier to use an "EasIO" to do the switching with a Spider. (?)
-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 pm 

Awesome - I am a registered user, so I will contact Steve for the latest.

Stephen Anderson

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]