It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to "clear" a compact flash module?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 am 

My experience with the MyIDE suggests that if you "glitch" the CF card, then the MyIDE utilities can't recognize the card. But with a regular compact flash card, it is easy to reformat the card using a PC flash card reader under Windows. Once reformatted, then MyIDe has no trouble recognizing the card.

However, if you glitch a compact flash *module* (Transcend, Simple Tech, etc.) reformatting the card is a big issue, unless one opens up the PC and places the CF module in an IDE drive port on the motherboard.

Has anyone found another way? I've never seen an adapter that would solve this issue.

Thanks,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:01 am 

Have you tried the MyConfig utility from my site? It will allow you to clear the entire sector 1, cylinder 0, head 0 where the MyIDE system keeps it's configuration data.

I'd be interested to see if that works or not. Of course, you will lose any setup that you have... That option is in the U[t]ility menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:39 pm 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Have you tried the MyConfig utility from my site? It will allow you to clear the entire sector 1, cylinder 0, head 0 where the MyIDE system keeps it's configuration data.

I'd be interested to see if that works or not. Of course, you will lose any setup that you have... That option is in the U[t]ility menu.

Hi Shawn-

Thanks for the suggestion, but none of the three tools could "see" the drive. I get a message that "an error has occurred accessing the hard drive or MyIDE hardware."

It was a 5.0F cart drive setup, but I re-flashed with 3.5F and the results were the same.

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:34 am 

Hi Larry,

Please try the new fdisk2 included in the 'new' 3.5F download.

I changed the init_routines to detect CF & memory modules and (when found) use the 8bit switch technique to read the real CHS-parameters using the 'identify'-command.

Otherwise, you can use a sector-editor on the PC to clean the card.
(attached)

Cheers,
Sijmen.

P.S. what is 'to glitch'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 pm 

Hi Sijmen-

Thanks for the reply. "Glitch" means malfunction. Used as I did, means it is in a state that does not function -- "FUBAR."

I cannot get either of the versions of FDISK2 to execute from the Dos menu or the APE loader. It loads and quits or loads and then re-loads the MyDos menu with no messages.

I was able to use the KMK-JZ FDISK2 to recognize the module and set it up properly for that interface. After successfully using the module with the KMK-JZ interface, I erased the partition, and then the MyIDE FDISK.BAS was able to "see" the module and set up a new partition as D1:, 60,000 DD sectors, and save the partition info.

However, after I return to MyDos and try to enable the drive, (shift+control+E) the drive does not respond. Maybe this is a "Simpletech issue," but this module has worked perfectly with the flash cart in the past, and it is externally powered. This particular module was previously set up with the original 5.0 flash OS.

I can't use the sector editor to edit the cart -- that is part of the issue -- unless I open up my PC and plug the module into the PC motherboard. I'm hopeful that I can make/find an adapter that will allow me to plug in an IDE ribbon cable into the MB and let it "hang" out the front of my computer. Then I can format these on the PC which in the past has cleared up similar problems that I've encountered with CF *cards*.

-Larry

mr-atari wrote:
Hi Larry,

Please try the new fdisk2 included in the 'new' 3.5F download.

I changed the init_routines to detect CF & memory modules and (when found) use the 8bit switch technique to read the real CHS-parameters using the 'identify'-command.

Otherwise, you can use a sector-editor on the PC to clean the card.
(attached)

Cheers,
Sijmen.

P.S. what is 'to glitch'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 pm 

Hmm, interesting... it almost sounds like the MyIDE hardware itself can't use the card, or the values in sector 0 are fooling the system into thinking the card is already configured. I'm not sure how Sijmen's fdisk software is working now, but mine does the following:

1. load sector 1, cylinder 0, head 0 (myide configuration information)
2. if Heads (byte 1) =0 or is >15 then it will assume hard drive is not configured and jump to autodetection, or
3. if Sectors (byte 2) =0 or is >63 then it will assume hard drive is not configured and jump to autodetection, or
4. if Partitions (byte 3) >8 then it will assume hard drive is not configured and jump to autodetection.

So, if all these values from sector 1, cylinder 0, head 0 are within these ranges then the system will assume the HD is configured already and try to use the settings loaded it.

I had started a sector editor for MyIDE (posted on the board somewhere) that you should be able to load and at least view the bytes from the first sector... I don't have my Atari setup right now (moving soon!) so I can't fire it up and test it. I don't really know where I left off with it.

I just quickly created this utility program that will try to write all zeros into sector 1, cylinder 0, head 0 on the hard drive. You'll need the MyIDE OS installed for it to run. It untested as I don't have my equipment hooked up right now. Might be worth a try if you have SIO2PC setup... It should display a message asking you to press any key to clear the HD. Then, it'll return an error if writing fails or silently exit if successful.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:58 am 

Yep, you're right.
Fdisk2 was assembler for the flashcartridge......

Here is the 'normal' executable version.

FDISK2 uses the 'identify'-command to get CHS information.

Later, back to the SIO-drawingboard ;-)
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:34 am 

mr-atari wrote:
Yep, you're right.

Sijmen.

Hi Shawn and Mr-Atari-

Thanks to both of you for the tools. I'll try both of these today.

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:34 pm 

thewhiz wrote:
mr-atari wrote:
Yep, you're right.

Sijmen.

Hi Shawn and Mr-Atari-

Thanks to both of you for the tools. I'll try both of these today.

-Larry

Hi Shawn and Mr-Atari-

Neither utility seemed to work. I keep getting the "Fatal Error reading Drive" message. I'm beginning to wonder if I don't have a MyIDE cartridge issue. (?)

Your latest version of FDISK2 does load properly and execute, but no matter what I enter the SIZE parameter shows 00000.

Shawn, your utility executes, "Press any key," then exits to Dos. But I still get the "Fatal Error..." message after clearing.

I did try a "known good" Sandisk compact flash card and adapter, but the results were the same. That's why I'm now suspecting this is a cartridge issue. Sigh...

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm 

I've think that my mystery is solved -- I took the old typewriter eraser to the contacts on the cart, and now it works!. They really didn't look that bad, but they do look smoother and of course, brighter now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but now 3 out of 3 non-working devices work fine.

Thanks for the help, and hopefully the utilities will help others (and me) in the future.

-Larry

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]