It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mario Bros. XE and Battlezone XE for 800XL (64k ram)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 pm 

This is a version of Mario Brothers XE that I modified to work with the Maxflash cartridge bank switching. Unlike the XEX file version, which runs out of ram and requires 128k, this will run on machines with 64K (or less?) because the code runs out of ROM. I've only tested it on my 64k 800XL but it might also run on 32k or 48k machines. Check the readme file for requirements on placement of the rom files in your workbook.

Edit:
I've just finished modifying Battlezone XE for Maxflash bank switching and decided to add it to the Mario Brothers workbook. The two programs fill a 1mb cart nicely. I've also modified Mario Brothers from the version I originally posted. In the previous version, the rom files had to be placed in the first slots of the workbook. The .rom files can now be place at any slot in the workbook and the executable will find the flash bank that they get loaded into. They still need to be kept in order and in consecutive slots though. The same is true for Battlezone. This is nice because the xex's can be in the main list of programs, and the roms can be placed at the end of the list so you don't have to scroll through them in the menu screen.

Regards,
tep392

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Last edited by tep392 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 am 

this is Excellent!!! too bad the Maxflash cartridge studio Can't be setup to automatically start a specific selection from the menu instead of just the first one.

President / Owner: Atlantis Games Group and Technologies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 pm 

kjmann wrote:
this is Excellent!!! too bad the Maxflash cartridge studio Can't be setup to automatically start a specific selection from the menu instead of just the first one.

Steve just updated his software to allow any slot to be set to autostart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm 

This is great. Now that this has been accomplished hopefully it will open the dor to more. Thanks for the hard work. :D

Post subject: Re: Mario Bros. XE and Battlezone XE for 800XL (64k ram)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:05 am 

Just wanted to say it works great on an 8 Mbit cart as well, and indeed, as suggested, placing the split files at the end of the list works nicely. Awesome work. Is there any way you could do Tower Toppler? It looks like they're having a difficult time making an R16 of it, so it's the only ROM that's unplayable on 64k hardware (assuming you own a MyIDE II and at least one Maxflash cart). I mean, if you could pull off R16s of both, that would be even better (what can I say, you seem like the right person to ask since you were able to pull something like this off, you seem to have an extremely good grasp on how the bank switching works), but either or would be nice at this point.

Oh wait, aren't you also that guy who did the new Pac-Man Arcade? I've been playing that some and, what can I say, it's matches the quality of the Ms. Pac Man port much better than the original Atari release. I think half the reason I always preferred Ms. Pac Man was because the port was so much better. If they aren't too much (I can justify something around the $20 to $30 range, not $50 like SFT gouges people for though -- it's nice, but not new-game-price nice, lol). Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 am 

you do realize the post is 4 years old and the PO only had 4 posts totals, don't you?
It is possible he may not even be around the board anymore.
I know I am not helping but I just want to be setting expectations.

If he comes back and makes R16 of the 2 even better, just not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:02 pm 

He's more active on AA. Guess I'll ask him about it when I place an order for the aforementioned Pacman cart (looks like they're only going for $25). And who's holding their breath? I've already got a The!Cart on order for evaluation purposes (the MyIDE II won't work with the original 800 anyway, so, it will have its uses even if the R16s do get made). I always cover my bases. Sometimes I end up with extra hardware in the process, but, I can always resell it (a good cleaning and a medium resolution camera work wonders on e-bay).

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]