It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need help with the basics! USB SIO2PC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:28 pm 

I'm trying to transfer programs from my 5.25 floppies and Atari 810 (brand new/reconditioned) disk drive to my PC hard drive (in the form or .ATR images, or any images for that matter).

I installed APE 3.0.2 and successfully installed the USB drivers.

I have the Atari 810 attached via the SIO2PC interface to my laptop. The 810 is set as drive #1 and the red light on the SIO2PC is on. The Atari 810 is turned on.

Simple question: How the heck do I now transfer the data from my floppies to my PC?

Seems straightforward but I can't find the options in APE or find documentation to make this work.

By the way, I have an unregistered version of APE- do i need to register it in order to move data from my old 5.25 floppies to my PC?

Sorry for the basic questions but I need a little help. thansk in advance!

RKForum

Post subject: Re: Need help with the basics! USB SIO2PC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If you want to transfer complete disks as disk images the easiest thing to do is to shut down APE, then run the ProSystem software. This should detect the 810 and allow you to read/write disks directly to/from the drive.

To use the ProSystem software with the USB interface, just attach the 810 to the SIO2PC interface as such:

Atari 810 (as drive #1) <-> SIO2PC USB Interface <-> PC

Attaching the Atari Computer is not required in this setup, but if it is attached it must be turned ON and idle at the Self-Test screen, READY prompt or MEMO PAD screen.

If you want to or need to use the Atari computer as an intermediary and sector copy whole disks, set up the chain like this:

Atari Computer <-> 810 Disk Drive (as drive #2, #3 or #4) <-> SIO2PC USB Interface <-> PC

Load the Disk Wizard II software or other sector copier into APE drive #1.
Turn on the 810 set to drive #2.
Turn on the Atari Computer and boot from the Disk Wizard II diskette in APE Drive #1.

Once the sector copier is started, set the source drive as drive #2 (the 810) and the destination as an APE drive, with a blank disk image in it. Then do the sector copy to transfer the disk

This is the manual way to copy a whole disk. If you can, I suggest you use the ProSystem software as it will be much faster in most situations than using the Atari Computer to do the sector copy.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Here is a video showing a disk being read from a real disk drive using the ProSystem software:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... tem&hl=en#

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 am 

Steve

Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried prosystem also last night and noticed that it didn't seem to support the USB interface- it looks like it wants me (under File-ProSystem Serial Port) to select Com1 through Com8 for a serial port, but does not let me select a USB connection. Am I missing something? Can you send me anything else I need to do to make it work with the USB interface? Or do I need to register it to use USB capability?

Thanks for the patience with my very basic questions. I've used ATR files before so once I get them created I'll be in good shape, it's just I need help to get them created from my 5.25 floppies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

ProSystem fully supports the USB interface, just make sure you turn off APE first and that the LED on the USB interface is OFF before starting ProSystem. If APE is already using the interface ProSystem will not detect it and only search for RS232 interfaces.

If ProSystem detects the USB interface at startup, you should see the red power LED on the USB interface come on briefly while it scans for USB attached floppy drives. :-)

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:18 pm 

Thank you so much! That did the trick. I am successfully transferring data/programs from my 1980's 5.25 floppy disks to my laptop and am able to access the programs in an emulator.

As a teenager I was an avid Atari 800 programmer and also made some money via professional contracts as I wrote several games for DYNACOMP (some people flinch when they hear that company's name) for which I received royalties for several years.

I'm now a middle aged man with my own kids who are getting a kick out of seeing computer stuff I did when I was their age.

I had started a really cool football game when I was 18 that is only partially finished- it had cool graphics, etc. and is about 3/4 complete. I'm now going to see if I can revive my 20+ year old BASIC and Assembler skills and complete the game...I haven't touched the code since 1987!

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:50 pm 

this ^^^
sounds interesting, I've PMd poster.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]