Post subject: Re: My IDE Drive Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm 

Excellent! :)

Many thanks RoyE for all your help.

..Kieran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 am 

HiassofT wrote:

@Sijmen: What's the status on your new LBA OS? I could add support for this partition format back to myidetool.

so long,

Hias

Hi there! Long time we seen each other.

The LBA-support as described in MyIDE 5.x is (still) not final, nor am I working on this BIOS.

To cut a long story short:
I decided to do the CHS-LBA conversion inside the new 4.6BIOS, this makes the setup 100% downwards compatible.
What I think is one of the main goals for me to do.
The extra code needed for this is relative small, so I'm happy with this work-around.

So there is also absolutely no work from Kieran required to adapt this -really cool- myide manager :-)

Later! (back to the coding of today......)
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 am 

roye wrote:
flashjazzcat wrote:
Any progress on the LBA version of this great tool?

Attachment:
Capture.PNG

The latest LBA capture of adding a SDX.atr to CF card.

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this... downloading now. :)

EDIT: just tested, and working great so far.

Thanks Grunty for taking the trouble to make this work with the SDX partitioning scheme. Thanks also to Hias for his continued support with the project. It's always very encouraging to be given support with utilities like this, since the SDX driver gets so little feedback and recognition over here. The fact is, though, it's rather widely used, and will be coming out of beta soon (now that SDX 4.43 has been released).

Hias and I will keep you up to date with the partition table extensions: in any case, the changes won't be dramatic. :)

It's worth pointing out that when the dynamic partition mounting is done, it will no longer be a stipulation that a partition entry in the table has a drive number. "0" in the drive number field will mean no drive number (i.e. the number will be allocated at run-time when the partition is mounted using the MOUNT command).

mr-atari wrote:
So there is also absolutely no work from Kieran required to adapt this -really cool- myide manager :-)

Apart from what I've mentioned above, if he wants his utility to have the broadest possible appeal (which I would assume any software author would).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm 

I'm happy to keep things current and as broad as possible - I agree with your comments.

My app is 100% dependent on Hias' tool for its unerpinnings - without it there would be no Kieran's app :)

I will certainly keep it current as Hias and Jonathan's work progresses.

As a side note, I'm looking forward to getting SDX support on my own kit - my challenge is going to be updating my MyIDE cart as I have no SIO and no 1050 :)

However putting the flash rom into an eprom programmer has already yielded some binary dumps that look very straightforward for me to patch and flash when the offical bits are available :)

Thanks all!

..Kieran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:58 am 

flashjazzcat wrote:
roye wrote:
flashjazzcat wrote:
Any progress on the LBA version of this great tool?

Attachment:
Capture.PNG

The latest LBA capture of adding a SDX.atr to CF card.

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this... downloading now. :)

EDIT: just tested, and working great so far.

Thanks Grunty for taking the trouble to make this work with the SDX partitioning scheme. Thanks also to Hias for his continued support with the project. It's always very encouraging to be given support with utilities like this, since the SDX driver gets so little feedback and recognition over here. The fact is, though, it's rather widely used, and will be coming out of beta soon (now that SDX 4.43 has been released).

Hias and I will keep you up to date with the partition table extensions: in any case, the changes won't be dramatic. :)

It's worth pointing out that when the dynamic partition mounting is done, it will no longer be a stipulation that a partition entry in the table has a drive number. "0" in the drive number field will mean no drive number (i.e. the number will be allocated at run-time when the partition is mounted using the MOUNT command).

mr-atari wrote:

Apart from what I've mentioned above, if he wants his utility to have the broadest possible appeal (which I would assume any software author would).

I absolutely love the SDX + MyIDE driver & Fdisk utility you wrote. It's the fastest interface BY FAR that I have used on this machine. I get 64k/s read, 61k/s write consistently when using SDX 4.43.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:22 am 

Another update to MyIDE Drive Manager:

I've added support for multiple drives (select from the drop-down), and support for drive images.

In the picture below, you can see an SDX/LBA image loaded.

In addition, I've added experimental support for saving partitions as ATRs. It seems to work fine for CHS drives, but LBA I'm really not sure if it's doing what it should.

Find it here:

http://home.kindredintellect.com/atari/MyIDEDriveManager/Pre/

Feedback appreciated as usual.

..Kieran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 am 

Hi Kieran!

Final version of myidetool is getting closer, I added support for up to 255 partitions in SDX LBA mode, but we still need to test the new features. All "image space" stuff is now disabled in SDX LBA mode, as there's currently no support for it on the Atari side, and the old implementation (in myidetool) needs a redesign - and never was tested before.

So here's the list of changes - no big changes, but you'll have to adapt a few minor things in your program:
- partition type info changed from "MyIDE LBA partition table" to "MyIDE SDX LBA partition table"
- the space before "total LBA sectors" was removed
- "Image space: disabled" output is gone
- maximum number of partitions (eg "max: 31") added
- option byte output moved to separate line
- partition number can now be 3 characters instead of 2.

And here's the output of the current version, with a 2-sector long partition table (max. 31 partitions).
Oh, just noted that the forum software formats the "code" block a little bit strange - all columns are actually lined-up, there are 2 spaces before partitions 1-9 and 1 before partitions 10-31.
MyIDE Tool V0.41
(c) 2006-2011 by Matthias Reichl <hias@horus.com>

MyIDE SDX LBA partition table:
total LBA sectors: 7831152
partitions: 4 max: 31 boot: 3
option byte: 00000000
part flags drv       start dns sectors
  1  A W   D03:          2  QD   65536
  2  A W   D04:      65538  DD   65536
  3  A W   D05:     131074  SD     721
  4  A W   D06:     131795  DD     721
  5        D00:          0  ??       0
  6        D00:          0  ??       0
  7        D00:          0  ??       0
  8        D00:          0  ??       0
  9        D00:          0  ??       0
 10        D00:          0  ??       0
 11        D00:          0  ??       0
 12        D00:          0  ??       0
 13        D00:          0  ??       0
 14        D00:          0  ??       0
 15        D00:          0  ??       0
 16        D00:          0  ??       0
 17        D00:          0  ??       0
 18        D00:          0  ??       0
 19        D00:          0  ??       0
 20        D00:          0  ??       0
 21        D00:          0  ??       0
 22        D00:          0  ??       0
 23        D00:          0  ??       0
 24        D00:          0  ??       0
 25        D00:          0  ??       0
 26        D00:          0  ??       0
 27        D00:          0  ??       0
 28        D00:          0  ??       0
 29        D00:          0  ??       0
 30        D00:          0  ??       0
 31        D00:          0  ??       0

I'll upload the current development version of myidetool as soon as we tested it with flashjazzcat's upcoming enhancements.

so long,

Hias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 am 

Thanks for the update, Hias. :)

You're right, the adaptation should take next to no time.

Looking forward to your posting the code - good luck with the finalization.

..Kieran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:54 pm 

The latest release works equally well with both the SDX fdisk CF card and the MyIDE fdisked CF card.

I love the file open option also saves much work on my end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:33 am 

I began using this on a machine with just VS2010 installed and so using .NET 4.0.
Initial error was that PresentationFoundation V3.0.0.0 was needed, so installed .NET 3.0 runtime.
Then next error was for Core and so had to install .NET 3.5 runtime.

Things then OK, app launches with initial error dialog due to no device attached, but pressing OK still permits the app to run.
Within here I can attach an image file and write an ATR to a partition and this boots fine in Altirra.

So question would be why the 3.0 dependency, couldn't it just use 3.5?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 am 

Wrathchild wrote:
I began using this on a machine with just VS2010 installed and so using .NET 4.0.
Initial error was that PresentationFoundation V3.0.0.0 was needed, so installed .NET 3.0 runtime.
Then next error was for Core and so had to install .NET 3.5 runtime.

Things then OK, app launches with initial error dialog due to no device attached, but pressing OK still permits the app to run.
Within here I can attach an image file and write an ATR to a partition and this boots fine in Altirra.

So question would be why the 3.0 dependency, couldn't it just use 3.5?

.NET versioning needs some explanation. In the old days (non .NET), new versions of libraries did overwrite older versions of the same library. Did could lead to broken programs also called "DLL Hell". If the newer version of the library was not 100% compatible with the old one, then existing programs that worked with the old version of the library could get broken when they were forced to use the new version of the library.

So when they designed .NET, they said that newer versions of libraries would not overwrite older versions but were installed "side-by-side". So you can have multiple versions of the same library on your system. Existing programs will always use the version of the library when they were build. They will only use the new version of the library when recompiled with the new version or when there is an application configuration file where explicitly is told that a newer version can be used.

So multiple versions of .NET can be on your system at the same time. And a program written for .NET 3.5 will not work when you only have installed .NET 4 since .NET only contains the v4 versions of the libraries and not the v3.5 versions. Thus you need to install .NET 3.5 separately.

Now you might think that of the system libraries, you could have v1, v1.1, v2, v3, v3.5 and v4 installed at the same time but it is more complicated.
  • .NET 1 (Visual Studio .NET (2002)) was the first version.
  • .NET 1.1 (Visual Studio 2003) was a minor update. (In fact an upgrade from VS2002 to 2003 was almost free). But instead of installing it next to .NET 1, it replaced .NET 1. The version number of the installed libraries is still v1.0.x.x
  • .NET 2 (Visual Studio 2005) was a major update. It installed v2.0.0.0 versions of the system libraries next to the v1.0.x.x versions.
  • .NET 3 (Extension to Visual Studio 2005) was an extension to .NET 2. It did not provide new versions of existing libraries, only new libraries. It thus installs also .NET 2.
  • .NET 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008) was an extension to .NET 2 & 3. It did not provide new versions of existing libraries, only new libraries. It thus install also .NET 2 & .NET 3.
  • .NET 4 (Visual Studio 2010) is a major upgrade that provides new versions of existing libraries in addition to new libraries. It will only install v4 versions of the libraries.

Thus in short:
.NET 1.1 overwrites .NET 1.
.NET 2 is installed next to .NET 1.x. It only installs v2 versions.
.NET 3 is an extension to .NET 2. It includes .NET 2 and adds extra libraries.
.NET 3.5 is an extension to .NET 2 & .NET 3. It includes .NET 2/.NET 3 and adds extra libraries.
.NET 4 is installed next to other versions. It only installs v4 versions.

So with only .NET 4 installed, you can't run .NET 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 programs.
With only .NET 3.5 installed, you can run .NET 2, 3 and 3.5 programs but not .NET 1 programs.
With only .NET 3 installed, you can run .NET 2 and 3 programs but not .NET 1 programs.
With only .NET 2 installed, you can run .NET 2 programs but not .NET 1.x programs.

So you had to install .NET 3.5 since .NET 4 does not include the older versions.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:08 am 

The latest version won't detect any valid partitions on my CF card. I'm using the latest LBA version of MyIDETool, but with a card whose partition table is compatible with the older versions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm 

I don't believe I have the latest MyIDETool..

Can you (or Hias) PM it to me?

Sources would be most helpful.

Thanks!

..Kieran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am 

Grunty wrote:
I don't believe I have the latest MyIDETool..

Can you (or Hias) PM it to me?

Here's the link to the latest (work-in-progress) version: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-110418.zip

Some stuff might still change, flashjazzcat recently implemented support for 512 byte sector partitions on standard (non-CF) harddrives, myidetool doesn't support them yet :-)

so long,

Hias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 pm 

Yes, the "clusters" are finished and tested now. Pseudo-quad density partitions on a 2.5" HDD score 65KB/s reads in RWTEST. :)

The question is how to represent these special partition entries in the partition table. At the moment, I simply set bit 7 of "type". A more flexible notation might be to split type into its nybbles: use the lower nybble to hold the density number (currently 1, 2 or 3 for single, double, and quad), and the upper nybble to hold divisor-1. So, 1 in the upper nybble and 3 in the lower would mean the partition is 512bps, but made up of 512/(1+1) bps sectors.

In the future, if SDX ever happened to implement 1024bps sectors as clusters, we could have 4 in the lower nybble, and either 1 or 3 in the upper nybble. 1 would mean the cluster was made up of 2 x 512bps sectors, while 3 would mean it was made up of 4 x 256bps sectors.

Does this seem sensible? It also guarantees backward compatibility with the earlier drivers for partition tables which don't use clusters.

Page 5 of 7 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next