It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to boot from another partition ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:31 am 

OK, I set up my cart. I downloaded one of the 16 MB files from the other thread that I put into D5: on APE for Windows. Next I duplicated this to D2: on my transcend module using MyDos (which took AGES..) The 16MB file cotains picoDos to select the games.

Now...I need to boot from D2: of course. How do I do that ?

I've read I can select the bootdrive using FDISK but it doesn't seem to work and also this would be very clumsy, I hope there is a way to select which partition to boot from at power-up (by pressing a number key f.i. ?)

I read the manuals...can't find it.

Post subject: Re: How to boot from another partition ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm 

Mmm, I seem to have succeeded in booting to partition two by selecting it from the FDISK menu. However, it doesn't work. The 16MB disc works great when loaded through SIO2PC though.

I have a feeling that using "Duplicate disk" from (MY)DOS is not good enough ? Maybe I should use a disk copy util ? Any utils that can manage those large volumes ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:15 pm 

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1029&p=5897#p5897
download the program required Window NET3.5 to run but it works okay.
Duplicate disk SUCKS from MyDOS. READ the thread I pointed to and get the feel for what to look for. & how to add partitions to your Transcend module.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 am 

OK I'll do that as soon as my adapter cable to write my Transcend modules from my Mac (using Parallels) has arrived. I can see it's a much easier way to do it.

However, I _still_ don't get how you can select how to boot "on the fly" to a different partition at power-on ? Or is it simply not possible ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:32 am 

There are to many answers to this question without knowing more information about your version of MYIDE OS. And with MyDOS you can read and load any program on any partition from basic or DOS. And if you are trying to boot a game or application from a 720 sector disk it should be loaded into Image space first.

Also for copying a 16mb partition from APE to MYIDE look at this thread on AtariAge forums.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/17 ... try2177338

Download the program at this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:22 pm 

First of all: thanks for all your help Roye !

I bought the MyIDE cart from Steven only a couple of weeks ago, so I guess it has the most recent versions of "everything".
I downloaded the program and the extra windows stuff (.NET) and after that a zillion updates of it and requiring two re-boots but when I try to run the program now it gives errors. God I hate Windowz....SO glad my main machine is a real computer.
Anyway, I tried it on my work's laptop, so a real XP machine, not running under parallels on my Mac...

I'm about to give up on this. It is so much more complicated than I had thought...at least it's a bit weird to claim "plug & go" on the combo of this cartridge and Transcend modules on the website.

The next set-back is that I received the flat-cable that Steven suggested, but it looks like I need to power the Transcend module when using it on my IDE2USB adapter...and of course I don't have the right cable with it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 am 

Alternative, you can run myidetool.exe from the commandline.
It is not as nice as with the windows overlay, but it should work.
myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive3 -p 1 -w avi.atr

Will write disk called avi.atr to partition-slot #1
BE SURE TO ENTER THE CORRECT PHYSICAL DRIVE!
myidetool --list

Gives a output of all IDE-drives attached to your system.

For booting a other disk, (I use the newer 4.6 bios) I simply change/swap the drive ID from
that partition to D1: and perform a powerup.
With the 3.5 bios it's basically the same. enter fdisk, swap/change the partition and reboot.

Later,
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]