It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: SIO2PC-USB - problems with many ATR files
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am 

Hi Guys,

I have a brand new SIO2PC-USB connected to an unmodified Atari 800XL (PAL). Everything went Ok with the installation (no issues).

I have a collection of ATR files downloaded from various sources but I am having some problems. SOME files work OK (including multi-game disks with menus). Listed below are a few issues I am experiencing:

1. Some ATR files can't be loaded into APE (latest version - unregistered - 3.0.2). When selected, APE doesn't load the file (instead it remembers the previous one).

2. Some ATR files load into APE OK but will not run on the 800XL (the atari tries to load the disk but eventually just stops with either a blank screen,garbage or a ready prompt)

3. Some menu disks load up OK (you can see the menu, and SOME games/utils will load OK, but others won't)

In all cases, the ATR files run OK in an Emulator (Atariwin800 on XP). I'm assuming that many of these ATR files available from the internet are not "proper" ATR's and are missing something and the emulators are just more "forgiving". I've ran a few of them past a utility called ATRUtil which DOES say that some ATR's are either bigger/smaller than the header suggests. The fix routine hasn't worked with anything I've checked so far...

I've read on AtariAge that some ATR's are just exe files with an ATR loader (would this clobber APE?)

All thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Barnsey

Post subject: Re: SIO2PC-USB - problems with many ATR files
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:09 pm 

Are you disabling basic by holding down the OPTION key while loading non-basic programs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:35 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I agree, the problems with loading are most likely related to BASIC being enabled by default. With the standard Atari OS installed, you need to hold down OPTION while turning on the Atari to disable BASIC for nearly every program. Some will turn it off themselves, but most will not and just end up crashing.

As for images you can't get to mount in the drive, you might post a couple of them or the filenames/links and we can give them a try.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am 

Thanks Roye/Steve,

yup, 'twas the OPTION button - Doh! - in my defence, it's been over 20 years since I had one of these (it's amazing what you forget!)

With the ATR's that won't load in APE I'll play around with them and see what happens (I've read that zipping/unzipping them sometimes works)

Thanks guys.

Barnsey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:45 pm 

There is another small tool called "ATR Image Size Corrector" from Christian Wyk. The program is german-only, but that doesn't matter, you can figure it out how it works... PC windows program.

There are only 4 options
"Einzelne Datei korrigieren" means "correct one single file",
"Verzeichnis korrigieren" means "correct folder",
"XFD>ATR konvertieren" means "convert XFD>ATR" and
"Sortieren" means "sort".
Ah yes, and the buttons:
"Datei wählen" -> "choose file",
"Verzeichnis wählen" -> "choose folder",
"schliessen" -> "end",
"Quelle..." -> "source...",
"Ziel..." -> "target..."

Attachment:
ATRImageCorrector.zip

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]