It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sio2ethernet
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:21 pm 

This is hugely a wish-list item, but you know, it would be way cool to have an sio-2-ethernet cable. Maybe we could have Ape servers located remotely on the internet with just a small app on the Atari side to pick the the ip address to connect to. Not sure myself how hard this would be to do though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:14 pm 

why not sio2wireless? serve all PCs via wireless -- I don't have ethernet next to my tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:40 pm 

Come to think of it, if we had sio2cellphone, then we could connect to ape servers while driving around in the car though maybe that's just going a little too far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:15 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The way APE is written sio2ethernet would work fine, just about the same as sio2pc USB, just much more expensive to build the adapters I imagine.

One thing that might be interesting to try. Belkin makes a wireless USB hub. You could try attaching SIO2PC USB adapters to that and see how it works.

Steve

Post subject: Or maybe a gadget like this?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:00 pm 

http://www.lantronix.com/device-network ... /ubox.html

Plug the SIO-usb into this thing? Would the Ape protocol survive going through such a gadget? I don't know how much these things are, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:54 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If the wireless USB gadget works that probably will too.

I don't have either here. The best I can do is slow down the USB transfers and that works fine, SIO is just somewhat slower than normal.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Sio2ethernet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:42 am 

I know that this topic hasn't been posted to in quite some time, but I was hoping that there may still be some interest in an SIO2Ethernet or SIO2Wi-Fi adapter. I would personally love something like this since my Atari isn't near my PC. Aside from being possible, is anyone building or considering building these?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I've been told that the USB interfaces work just fine over Wifi using these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120572764422?item=120572764422

Lantronix also makes a more exotic Ethernet version called UBox that also works, but its expensive and hard to come by.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

If I understand how this would work (?), this wi-fi adapter would set near the Atari with the APE USB module plugged into the the Belkin adapter? Then the Belkin adapter would communicate with the built-in wi-fi in the host computer?

If that's how it would be hooked up, then the Atari-client would have no way to "see" the APE screen on the host-server to keep track of what is loaded onto the various slots, except using Dos to do some form of a directory request?

Neat concept, but a small net book PC next to the Atari might be a lot more functional.

-Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 am 

Considering the memory that would be required just to display a web page and the Atari's screen resolution, would it even be possible even in text mode?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am 

I presume you mean on the Atari. APE has some neat remote commands that might be used to query what is mounted, but I think it would not be pretty to keep track of. I could see (in theory) a small program that you would run on the Atari which would give a listing of the APE slots. Then use the APE remote commands to mount/dismount ATR's to the slots. I've used the APE remote commands before, and they have a lot of useful features. Still, I think this would be cumbersome at best. IMO, of course.
-Larry

8-bit wrote:
Considering the memory that would be required just to display a web page and the Atari's screen resolution, would it even be possible even in text mode?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]