It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: After format FAT32 partition, cannot use MyBios again
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:51 am 

What I do:

1. Make partition with MyBios on blank CF card, save dos etc. and it works fine also wth atr files added later (using MyIDEDriveManager)
2. Now I want to make Fat32 partition so I go to Fat32 Loader from menu, it makes a partition for me and asks to remove a card and make file system
3. I remove a card from slot, put it in PC with windows 7 64-bit and format whole card as Windows asks me
4. I copy some xex, rom files to new partition and put back to MyIDE cart

Now I can use those Fat32 files and they work great but it seems formating card made me lost my MyBios partition, cause when I try to load dos from MyBios or atr game that I put there, screen goes rainbow and I cannot do anything. Like I said, it worked fine BEFORE formating card with PC.

I know I make something wrong but what exactly?

I use XEGS stock and 800XL with ultimate.

Post subject: Re: After format FAT32 partition, cannot use MyBios again
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 am 

Hi,

I want to reproduce here,
-what is the size of the CF you are using?
-Firmware of MyBIOS (when you are in the MyBIOS-load-page, number on the top-line)

After you partition with MyBIOS, you need to format the card on the PC in fat32.
I guess fat32-loader has partitioned the whole card.
Also, I didn't know it had a partitioning tool inside.
Sure you are not talking about APT?
For APT you need to manually init in MyBIOS and answer Yes on the question APT?

Cheers,
Later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 am 

mr-atari wrote:
Hi,

I want to reproduce here,
-what is the size of the CF you are using?
-Firmware of MyBIOS (when you are in the MyBIOS-load-page, number on the top-line)

After you partition with MyBIOS, you need to format the card on the PC in fat32.
I guess fat32-loader has partitioned the whole card.
Also, I didn't know it had a partitioning tool inside.
Sure you are not talking about APT?
For APT you need to manually init in MyBIOS and answer Yes on the question APT?

Cheers,
Later.

It is SanDisk 128MB CF card
MyBios Firmware is 4.8.05

I did format a card in FAT32 on PC after MyBios partition. I did exactly like on movie from here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1333
What is this APT?

Edit:

I have tried with other CF card (Sandisk ultra II 1GB) and it look like it works now, so 128MB was just to small. But I ecounter two more problems:

1. MyIDEDriveManager.exe does not recognize any MyBios partition after CF card is put into PC computer, funny that with 128MB was no problem with copying atr files. Maybe Ultra card is not supported?
2. Many atr files do not work via Fat32 loader, tried files from atarimania.com, fandal page and atarionline.pl page, basicly it says "this atr file is not supported" or it loads but freezes after loading

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 pm 

I can answer:
michomis wrote:
2. Many atr files do not work via Fat32 loader, tried files from atarimania.com, fandal page and atarionline.pl page, basicly it says "this atr file is not supported" or it loads but freezes after loading

FAT32Loader only supports regular/real ATR images, many are instead K-boot images so they won't work from FAT32Loader [if the size is small, then it is almost always a Kboot ATR, there's a tool to patch them back to the right size if you care to].
Also some others are actually HardDrive images [big files] and so also don't work unless you put them as partitions under MyBIOS.

Compatibility is not that high from FAT32Loader, for example if the program wants to write back then it will not work, that is why it is suggested to put ATRs in MyBIOS image/partition space.

Finally if you use MyBIOS features (images or partitions) keep in mind that you are running the OS (in this case MyBIOS F2) in RAM and many games do not like that, the alternative is to burn an EPROM and put MyBIOS R2 (R = ROM based) into your Atari and compatibility increases by a lot but it is more invasive.
You could also flash your Ultimate to have one of the OS be MyBIOS R2 to try it out but unless you are familiar with the process and can recover from a bad flash on your own you probably shouldn't do it.

Some games won't just work no matter what as they have custom SIO routines and for those you do need an SIO based device or a crack/patch for the game.
Finally few earlier games [in "rom" format] do mess up with initialization routines and so they could reset/mess up the locations where Ultimate and/or MyIDE2 have their settings, but there are not too many of them and I believe most of them have a "fixed" version.

Last edited by phoenixdownita on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 pm 

Thank you for full picture on this case :) I also use side 2 (on this all work fine with atr's) but I wanted MyIDE to be an xegs companion connected always together and be able to load xex,rom and atr's with no problem.
I still do not understand why MyIDEDriveManager won't work with my Ultra CF card :|

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 pm 

I have an XEGS with U1MB and SIDE2 and I cannot make them to work together (no ATR support), I strongly suspect because it is an XEGS.

I bought SIDE2 to make sure I can flash U1MB because U1MB to be flashed has to be put in SDX mode and it kind of conflicts with MyIDE2 MyBIOS which is needed to boot the flashing ATR because it is too big (720K) for image or Fat32Loader and so it has to be mounted as partition, so in the end I had to flash an R2 into it direclty with an EPROM burner.

Anyway I can tell you that in case you care to put R2 in your XEGS compatibility goes up quite a bit with MyIDE2 but ATR support forces you to go thru the image/partition space, which is a little inconvenient.
At atariage you can find 4 picodos partitions (16MB each) that you can put into MyBios partition space and have a lot of games at your fingers, again R2 bios has way better compatibility than F2. You need the HighSpeed OFF images for MyIDE2 to work (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187482 ... try2763386), if you turn ON HighSpeed in picodos it will simply lock on load [probalby because it uses custom SIO routines]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:11 pm 

phoenixdownita wrote:
I have an XEGS with U1MB and SIDE2 and I cannot make them to work together (no ATR support), I strongly suspect because it is an XEGS.

I bought SIDE2 to make sure I can flash U1MB because U1MB to be flashed has to be put in SDX mode and it kind of conflicts with MyIDE2 MyBIOS which is needed to boot the flashing ATR because it is too big (720K) for image or Fat32Loader and so it has to be mounted as partition, so in the end I had to flash an R2 into it direclty with an EPROM burner.

Anyway I can tell you that in case you care to put R2 in your XEGS compatibility goes up quite a bit with MyIDE2 but ATR support forces you to go thru the image/partition space, which is a little inconvenient.
At atariage you can find 4 picodos partitions (16MB each) that you can put into MyBios partition space and have a lot of games at your fingers, again R2 bios has way better compatibility than F2. You need the HighSpeed OFF images for MyIDE2 to work (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187482 ... try2763386), if you turn ON HighSpeed in picodos it will simply lock on load [probalby because it uses custom SIO routines]

2 xegs + side2 and ul;timate 1mb working perfectly,
return your ultimate board

if it reads xex you installed it right,
it surely is busted

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

phoenixdownita wrote:
At atariage you can find 4 picodos partitions (16MB each) that you can put into MyBios partition space and have a lot of games at your fingers

I tried to put them on CF card with MyIDEDriveManager but it says files to big, how to put them on CF to work with MyBios exactly? Do I need some extra equipment?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 am 

michomis wrote:
phoenixdownita wrote:
At atariage you can find 4 picodos partitions (16MB each) that you can put into MyBios partition space and have a lot of games at your fingers

I tried to put them on CF card with MyIDEDriveManager but it says files to big, how to put them on CF to work with MyBios exactly? Do I need some extra equipment?

Put them on the partitions, first make 4 partitions 16Mb each with drive ID, any will do.
On the PC copy them with MyIDEmanager_lba2
Then back on the ATARI, rename not used partitions to - and the one you want to boot to 1.

Sijmen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 am 

mr-atari wrote:
michomis wrote:
phoenixdownita wrote:

Put them on the partitions, first make 4 partitions 16Mb each with drive ID, any will do.
On the PC copy them with MyIDEmanager_lba2
Then back on the ATARI, rename not used partitions to - and the one you want to boot to 1.

Sijmen.

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. First of All MyIDEDriveManager can upload files on partitions made only with MyBios, right?
Now If I make partition with 32768 sectors (which is 16MB) on MyBios, I still cannot put those 16MB atr files on it.
MyIDEDriveManager says atr too big for partition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 am 

The Magic # here is 65535 for sectors. This is the sector limit of 256bps called DD size of the ATRs that you are talking about..

16mb at 256bps need to have 65535 entered as Sectors Limit not 32768..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 am 

roye wrote:
The Magic # here is 65535 for sectors. This is the sector limit of 256bps called DD size of the ATRs that you are talking about..

yes, I already tried this ealier, no use.

Basicly what I do:

1. Make partition with MyBios like in tutorial, 65535 on blank card (tried also with 32768 but it is wrong)
2. Make dos on card (tried also without dos)
3. Put this card in PC
4. Try to upload ATR 16MB files with MyIDEManager

it says file too big.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:42 pm 

You can create multiple partitions, I have 6 (when you prepare the CF just make sure that in reserved Image Space you put 3).

The file fits but it has to be in the partition space and not in the image space, image space are for ATR out of floppy disks.
I use the command line tool directly and that has different options for partitions or images.

The nice part is that once you mount all 4 as D1:....D4 you can just filp thru them by pressing 1...4 and MyPicoDos menu reloads with the correct content.
For the MyPICODos images you don't need to have a MyDOS partition at all, buy you need to have 4 empty partitions (65535 and D), once you create then thru MyBIOS menu and save the changes (I suggest you do them one at a time and save the changes) you can take them to your PC and use the tool [which by the way should also be able to list them].

I have a 4GB CF, and at the end of the process 2GB is for FAT32 and 2GB for images/partitions, of those I rarely use images [but I could, I have 5 of them I believe] but I do have 6 partitions as of now [MyDOS just to try it out as showed in the video, 4 Picodos, 1 SDX, my D1...D4 are normally the picodos so booting MyBIOS and then pressing "anykey" gets me going]

One thing to note, if you reprepare the CF it will loose the partitions metadata but it usually keeps the data so after you recreate them and renamed them their content is still there (assuming you used the same sizes and order when recreating them), which is a big time saver if you have to rebuild the FAT32 [sometimes mine gets corrupted].

Believe me it all works, so keep at it and maybe switch to the command line driven tool.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 am 

stRing wrote:
roye wrote:

yes, I already tried this ealier, no use.

Basicly what I do:

1. Make partition with MyBios like in tutorial, 65535 on blank card (tried also with 32768 but it is wrong)
2. Make dos on card (tried also without dos)
3. Put this card in PC
4. Try to upload ATR 16MB files with MyIDEManager

it says file too big.

I guess you are on the Image-page of the manager.
That's why you get the message to big.
To copy 16Mb partitions, you need to be on the Partition-page.

Below the text xx Images, xx partitons there are 2 tabs.
One for managing Images and one for Partitions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 am 

mr-atari wrote:
I guess you are on the Image-page of the manager.
That's why you get the message to big.
To copy 16Mb partitions, you need to be on the Partition-page.

Below the text xx Images, xx partitons there are 2 tabs.
One for managing Images and one for Partitions.

Now I am in work so I be quick, of course I have tried with both options :) (image and partition) but it did not work as well. I'll be trying more when I am back home.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next