It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need a bit more understanding...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hi all, I'm back with a few more questions.. I have been using the MYIDE-II flash cart, it's awesome. I am having an issue with the famous "BELLCOM" program disks. I load them (they are ATR), they list programs I can tn, almost all of them end in BAS (I am going to accept that these are basic programs). When I attempt to run one I get the disk utilities screen with choices like:

A. DISK DIRECTORY
B. RUN CARTRIDGE
C. COPY FILE

Etc.. you get it I am sure. So.. how do I run these BAS files from the menus o the BELLCOM atr's?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need a bit more understanding...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:34 pm 

You have to enable basic (see the post about the FAT32 loader somewhere in this forum).

If you rename the ATR file and you at [bas] before the .atr in the filename, the FAT32 loader will enable basic while you select the ATR.
There is also a key to enable basic in the FAT32 loader, but I don't know while i'm typing this what that key is (see that post about FAT32 loader).

If you have this ATR in the MyBIOS image system, then you have to hold option while you select the image. That will enable basic (I guess).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:27 am 

Yes, Marius is spot-on :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:10 pm 

Hi guys, I checked out all the videos I could find, (it appears that all the documentation is all videos, unless I am not looking in the right place). I see that similar to what Marius said here, that in the videos, it shows the atr file with the word [basic] (the full word in brackets) before the .atr... Is that sufficient or should I just put BAS at the end of the filename??

Also I could not find the part where you press a key to get basic to run with the image.. I looked at all the posts with the words FAT32 loader in them but have not found what I am looking for, unless I am not sure what I am looking for!

Please let me know! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:39 pm 

Hi!

Do not change the extension in bas, but leave it to .ATR

Read this post please:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1330

There you read everything you need to know. Just in case I copy past the most important part:

Notes on ATR image loading

Supports single/double density disk images up to 512kB.

A loading indicator will appear across the bottom of the screen when the OS is loading from the disk image stored in the MyIDE-II application RAM.

Will automatically enable BASIC for any disk image tagged with "[bas]", "[basic]" or "-bas" in the filename.

Images running from the FAT32 loader are READ ONLY, the software must play nice with having the OS in RAM and it must not bypass the OS disk routines.

Using MyBIOS for disk images is a much better way to load disk images, using the image space functionality, which will allow read/write access, better compatibility, etc.

The ATR function of the FAT32 loader will always just be a convenient item for quickly playing a few ATR games that are compatible with having the OS in RAM and don't need to save changes to disk. For more demanding use of disk images from CF, use MyBIOS w/ the Image Space functionality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 pm 

Hi! OK, tried this, now the .atr files get to a loader screen (blue with the square cursor in the upper left corner) and stops there..

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:37 pm 

could you post the atr here.

there are several options why it does not work.

1) The loader has a high-speed SIO loader, which disturbs the MyIDE/FAT32 system.

2) It uses illegal OSB OS-jumps (in stead of documented vector jumps) so there is XL/XE incompatibility.

So if you post the atr here, it is easier to look why it fails.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:56 pm 

Won't let me, says the extension atr is not allowed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 am 

zip and upload

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:36 am 

attached

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 am 

Your ATR is not in the correct size. Should be 90k-SD or 130k-MD.
Better to put them on the images of MyBIOS, hold OPTION on boot.
BASIC files are as they are, basic-language.
So if they do not automatic load from disk, load and run them.

Consult the atari basic manual......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 am 

not tested yet,

but in my quoted description you had 3 choices, and you used an option that was not one of these 3.

option 1: ad [bas] to the file name

option 2: ad [basic] to the file name

option 3: ad -bas to the filename

you added -basic to the filename.

I did not test that, but I can imagine that that does not work. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Oh and what mr. Atari writes: basic files run (usually) perfect on MyBIOS, so put them on a MYDOS partition and you'll load them as you usually would do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 am 

Actually the files came that way.. I saw the -basic in the filename and figured it was an undocumented working method but didn't change it.

I did make a copy though and tried it with [basic] and it didn't work, which it now looks like a disk size problem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:24 am 

Ok, I analyzed your basic program uploaded in the zip.

First:
I do not know for sure, but I have read somewhere the atarimax-loader expect ATR-files to be in standard sizes.
So best is to extend chopped ATR's with zero's to match 90k or 130k ATR-sizes.

Second:
I hacked into the disk you uploaded.
The program found is using illegal OS-entries, so chances are BIG it does not run on other OS.
And it does not, blame the programmer.

So to run this disk, you must load it from SIO, using a real drive and floppy or virtual (using SIO2PC or such) on your PC.

It is a sound-demo b.t.w.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 am 

Thanks for the help! Yep, I know exactly what it is, it is FUGUE!! The famous demo of the Atari's 4-voice system. I had the real thing when I was growing up and it is a memory I have been trying to revisit.

Interestingly enough I have learned a lot about the file sizes and the disk images from you guys from all this. None of those files are going to be very useful to me.

The Bellcom disk atr # 151 has Fugue in it, and when I changed the file name to 151[basic].atr lo and behold, there was my FUGUE!

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next